1Password for Android feedback

This discussion was created from comments split from: Android 6 - Several safes.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: I'm not aware of anything that's been promised and not delivered. We rarely make those sorts of announcements, and those that we did (material design, fingerprint support) have already been completed).

As far as unreleased features, we don't discuss time frames as they are often delayed and sometimes cancelled altogether. With regard to multiple local vaults in 1Password for Android, this isn't something we're working on right now anyway, as we have a lot of other things in the works.

Regarding the app's state when relaunching, it should pick up where you left off. We can certainly consider other behaviours and potentially adding preferences for this in the future though. Thanks for letting us know you'd prefer starting it from the main view!

We'll definitely be adding more advanced editing and viewing facilities, though tags is one area we're focused on in the mean time.

I disagree that 1Password for Android has "remained unchanged". The last year has seen a great deal of change there, and there's more to come as well. But you're right that we don't yet have all of the features we want there, and that's why we put so much effort into the version 6 update, so that we have a lot more room to grow with each new release.

You mentioned a few things you're looking for already, but be sure to start a new discussion if you have other requests or feedback on 1Password for Android. We're listening. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: Since your comments seem to be more general feedback regarding 1Password for Android, I've split this off into a separate discussion.

I'm not aware of anything that's been promised and not delivered.

-multiple vaults for Android was, a long time ago.

Support for multiple local vaults is something we've discussed working on in the past as folks requested the feature, but not something we've promised. We know better than anyone that even if we'd worked on it in earnest, whether or not it sees release is another matter entirely.

And, as you can probably imagine, this is a feature we've wanted ourselves. Before 1Password.com, it was impossible to use more than one vault in 1Password for Android at all, no other options. And many of us (myself included) still have local vaults. So this would be a welcome feature here as well, but we need to prioritize the things that help the most people.

Multiple vaults have never been at the top of the list (though it's near the top of many wishlists) when there are many other opportunities for improvement in areas which will benefit many more users. Filling comes to mind, and while arguably less sexy, everyone would benefit from better editing and item management features. Not everyone uses multiple vaults, but many more people do with 1Password.com since managing them is so much easier.

-right, the Android app is neglected, totally lacking in features and absolutely no effort has been put into it when compared to the iOS one.

Even if that feels true to you, that is hyperbole. We can agree that there's still plenty of room for improvement and features to add, but the 18 releases in the last 14 months tells a very different story than "no effort".

-like what? I have seen no real new features ir upgrades, even in Beta.

Tags were added this past month. New Dropbox API, copying between vaults, additional languages, multi-window mode, OPVault, All Vaults view, search improvements, and the brand new UI and fingerprint support. But you're right that there hasn't been much "action" in the beta channel this past month. That's because we're working on some other pretty big things. That doesn't mean other platforms, but rather some Android-specific stuff you'll hopefully see before long. ;)

-Thanks for that, but please act on these! The Multiple Vaults is the MAIN one. I have many things not in my original vault, and my I hace access to my families' vaults, and my children's vaults, and cannot do anything for them when I only have my Android phone on me.

I hear you. Before 1Password.com I was in the same boat, and still am to some extent, given that I keep several Dropbox vaults even now. But multiple local vaults isn't something we can work on right now. It's very much a power user feature, and even for power users managing multiple local vaults is a pain, even for those who only use platforms that support this. I know. I wasn't always an Android user. Right now our focus is on 1Password.com, as it's much easier for my family and many others to sync and share multiple vaults that way. I could never get them to do that with Dropbox, and the fact that they're all using multiple vaults today with 1Password.com (though I'm not sure they think of it this way) illustrates why we built this.

This discussion has been closed.