Manual Sync to iCloud not working on Mac

amcd
amcd
Community Member

Dear 1P...

Having just changed from Dropbox to iCloud.. the sync button in {Preferences} does not work.

It appears that Sync happens only when I change something in 1Password??

Sometimes I like to do a manual sync but cannot do this at the moment..

I cannot find anything in your Help online..

Please advise soonest..

Many Thanks

Allan McDonagh

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amcd,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that, and I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble syncing via iCloud!

the sync button in {Preferences} does not work.

Are you referring to the orange Sync icon in the Preferences window, between Browsers and WLAN Server? If so, that's one of the tabs in the Preferences window, and not a button. Clicking on it will simply show your sync settings. 1Password for Mac doesn't have a "manual sync" button for any of the sync options (iCloud, Dropbox, etc).

It appears that Sync happens only when I change something in 1Password??

In general, a sync is triggered in 1Password when you launch/unlock it, change items (add, edit, delete), or switch vaults. When syncing via iCloud, a sync is also triggered when CloudKit tells 1Password that changes are available (i.e. if you make a change from another device).

That normally happens pretty quickly, but if you make a change on another device and don't see it right away on your Mac, that probably means CloudKit is taking longer than usual to let 1Password know about the change. Because 1Password relies on CloudKit to do that, and CloudKit is part of Apple's iCloud service, there's not much we can do. The change should definitely sync if you give it some more time, but if you don't want to wait, you can force 1Password to check for changes by locking & unlocking it (or switching between vaults, or making a change to an item).

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member

Yes I am referring to the Sync Tab ( I called it Button) in Preferences... Please see image attached.

When I was using Dropbox, each time I clicked on "Sync" ....a Sync actually happened immediately. Now nothing happens since I switched to iCloud. Is that correct?

Thanks @amcd

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amcd,

That's correct - clicking on the Sync tab doesn't cause it to sync. Sorry for any confusion about that! Manually forcing a sync shouldn't be necessary, and iCloud should alert 1Password when there's been a change from another device. But if that doesn't happen right away, you can force a sync by locking and unlocking 1Password, or switching between vaults.

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.