Read-only purchased license

This discussion was created from comments split from: New computer: how to login?.

Comments

• Frustrated_Karla
    Frustrated_Karla
    Community Member

I was about to post that I was having the same problem on my new laptop, but finally managed to get this working. I downloaded the license I already owned (1. request licenses by giving my email address, 2. click on link in email). But I was initially unable to get the license recognized - in fact, I couldn't find instructions indicating what to do with the license, but since it was a binary file I figured I just needed to double click on the license file. This caused my machine to immediately switch to 1Password, but it remained in Read-Only mode. I quit 1Password, still no good. But then finally I quit 1Password and THEN opened the binary license file and - voila! I suggest that some info on what to do with the license file would be helpful (apologies if I missed it) - ideally on the license download page.

• Frustrated_Karla
    Frustrated_Karla
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

Actually, I take that back. It was working this morning (the "read-only" box went away and I had an "edit" box), but now that I went to make another change, it's back in the same state as before! I'm frankly pretty confused about why I'd want to be able to read but not edit secured information. If I once again quit 1Password, open the license binary, and then enter my password, it starts "working" again. Which is a kludge I guess, but not exactly functional...

• @Frustrated_Karla,

I do see that you have a license, you'll want to switch back over to the Agile Store version of 1Password from https://1password.com/downloads. The read-only text you're seeing means that you've tried to use your license with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. This isn't a compatible way of licensing that version of 1Password.

Rudy

• Frustrated_Karla
    Frustrated_Karla
    Community Member

Thanks for the rapid response, Rudy. That seems to have solved it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.