Getting 1Password working on Macbook running OS 10.9.5

kyvdh10
kyvdh10
Community Member

I tried to install 1Password 4 on my old Macbook running OS 10.9.5 and it asks whether I'm new or have used before. I have just started a subscription and have it running on a Macbook Pro, iPad, and Windows 7 machine but when I try on my Macbook, I can't get it or the Firefox add-on to work. I tried following instructions about syncing with dropbox but I'm not even sure if I should need to do that for a subscription service that is all in the cloud. Maybe I really just don't understand. Should I have installed as a new user on my Macbook and then done something to get synced to my subscription? It's just not clear to me.

1Password Version: Subscription
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

You need 1Password version 6 to use a subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kyvdh10: Indeed, pervel is correct. 1Password 4 was created years ago and is no longer under active development, so it doesn't know anything about 1Password.com — it predates it by a number of years. You also won't be able to safely use Chrome or Firefox with 1Password 4 any longer, as they've both recently changed their code signatures which 1Password 4 is using. 1Password 6 requires Yosemite or later, but any Mac that supports Mavericks is capable of upgrading to at least El Capitan (and many, Sierra).Doing so will not only allow you to use the current version of 1Password (and your membership) there, but also get you a lot of great improvements, features, and — most importantly — the many security fixes that have been released in recent years.

• kyvdh10
    kyvdh10
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. My son has sent me a copy of the Yosemite upgrade so we'll see how that goes. Will help me with some other software that I was unable to update so this could be helpful in multiple ways. Or I could destroy my macbook in the process and be really messed up. Thanks again for the help and direction.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! It's always a good idea to back up your Mac, especially before installing a major OS upgrade. That way, if anything goes wrong, you can still restore from your backup.

Hopefully all goes well, but if you have more questions about 1Password, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017

@kyvdh10: I'd encourage you to backup your data first (Time Machine and SuperDuper! are great and easy to use) and then upgrade directly from the App Store, so you only have to do it once (as opposed to upgrading to Yosemite, and then again to El Capitan or Sierra). And if there's an Apple Store nearby, I can't recommend them highly enough. Incredibly helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.