One-Time Password out of sync

BlackMacX
BlackMacX
Community Member

So, recently (today) I could my One-Time Password (QR Code) had become out of sync between my IOS 1Password Vault version and the one my Mac version of 1Password uses. I have both syncing to Dropbox and that works fine generally. But, when I logged into the site where the issue was occurring (Evernote), though I could reset and update the QR Code with my iPhone instance of 1Password (v6.7.1) and login using it's generated OTP; the Mac instance of 1Password (also v6.7.1) was not using the same QR Code (even though I had resynch'ed it with DB and quit it prior to doing that).

Any suggestions as to how to correct this?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

Just an update, I have deleted by 1Password login for Evernote (after having logged in via Safari) and then trashed in on all my devices. I then disabled 2FA on Evernote's website, re-enabled it and setup a new login for Evernote, still no luck as the QR Code related OTP generated on my iPhone works; but the one created via the same login details and synched from the iPhone version of 1P through DB to my Mac version of 1P, still is out of synch. So I have to use the iPhone as my OTP generator for accessing Evernote.com via a web browser on my Mac. Odd and a conundrum.

@ 8.39 today, I found this also extends to the Dropbox OTP generated as well on the Mac instance vs iPhone instance. The iPhone worked, the Mac was out of sync. So this suggests (to me) that there is a sync problem whereby, the Mac version isn't getting the most up to date information and such. I am therefore going to try to disable and delete my Mac based 1Password vaults, so that as to force a refresh.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BlackMacX,

I'm sorry your one-time passwords are out of sync between your Mac and iPhone!

Just to make sure I understand, it sounds like you created a new Login item for Evernote in 1Password on your iPhone, edited it to add the one-time password, and then that new Login item synced to 1Password on your Mac, but that field shows a different one-time password on your Mac than on your iPhone?

If so, is it possible the clock on your Mac is showing a different time than the clock on your iPhone? The time-based one-time password is generated using a shared secret as well as the current time, so if the time is different on each device, that could explain why the the one-time password is different on each device (and also why this is happening for multiple Login items). Please let us know what you find, thanks! :)

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thank you, that worked; your understanding was correct. The issue was that both my iPhone and Mac were set to automatically set themselves via the local timezone and time. Somehow the Mac had become faster then the iPhone. So I had to change and manually set my time. This isn't ideal; but worked. Things work now and are in synch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, it doesn't come up often, but I've seen that myself as well. Usually the automatic setting works, but when it doesn't it can really cause some problems. Glad that helped! :)

This discussion has been closed.