New Login saves URLs for both registration and sign-in pages

ajaym
ajaym
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

I've been using and recommending 1Password for years and years (despite not being thrilled with the new subscription model :( ) and would like some help with a small niggle that's been bothering me for a long time but I've never gotten around to addressing.

I like my Logins to be squeaky clean (with the link pointing just to the Sign in page and not to the Register page). I first create a password with the password generator and then paste it locally on my Mac. When the prompt to save it comes up when I enter it on the initial Register page I always say no. When I paste it manually on the Sign in page and finally save the Login I see that the website points to not only the Sign in page but also to the Register page, which I had previously asked 1Password not to save.

Do I need to alter my workflow or does this need a little tweaking for finicky and difficult customers like me? ;-)

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.5
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajaym,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about this! I can definitely explain what's happening.

When you use the Password Generator to fill or copy a new password into a web form, that password is saved as a new item in the Passwords category (this serves as a safety net in case you don't end up saving the new password elsewhere). The new Password item also contains the URL you were viewing when you generated the password, which in this case is the URL for the Register page.

When you save a new Login from the site, it converts that Password item into a Login item. That Login item contains the details from the original Password item, including the generated password and the URL for the Registration page. It also adds details from the Sign In page, including your username and the URL. That's how you end up with both URLs in the new Login.

To make your new Login item "squeaky clean", all you really need to do is edit the item and delete the URL for the Registration page. Alternately, you could save a new Login from the Registration page when prompted, then manually save a new Login item from the Sign In page (once you've done that, you can delete the Login you saved from the Registration page).

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.