Why won't 1Password mini install after unexplained disappearance?

leemale15604
leemale15604
Community Member

Numerous problems occurring after long period of good performance. Sites restored using manual IDs and password copy paste. Found 1password mini extension missing. Downloaded replacement but it will not install. Popup says "Safari can not install this extension". "An error occurred while installing the extension 1 password". Tried again after Mac restart with all apps off. Same result. I am using an iMac with Sierra, and 1Password v6.7.1. Please advise. Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leemale15604: Ah, that's interesting. I know we've encountered issues with Safari not installing an update until the old version was manually uninstalled, but I've never actually heard from anyone who'd noticed the Safari extension disappearing completely. But it makes sense. It seems that sometimes Safari's extension database becomes damaged, so that extensions are still present but no longer recognized. So trying to reinstall doesn't work because it's already present. Are you seeing 1Password in Safari Preferences > Extensions? I expect not, but if you do you can more easily remove it there and then reinstall. Otherwise you'll need to remove it manually from ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/. Let me know what you find!

• leemale15604
    leemale15604
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I can not find library/safari/extensions please describe path Found- removed- . new download still would not install

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leemale15604,

I'm a little confused about whether or not you were able to find and remove the 1Password extension from ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ on your Mac, as your post seems to be saying that you couldn't find it but removed it anyway.

Just to be sure, can you please follow these steps:

1. Quit the Safari app.
    2. From the Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar (this will open a Go to the folder dialog).
    3. Copy and paste the following text into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/Safari/
    4. Click the Go button.
    5. Inside the Safari folder, find the Extensions folder and drag it to the Trash (please note that if you have other extensions in Safari, you'll need to reinstall those).
    6. Reboot your Mac.

Next, try to install the extension again by following these steps:

1. Open Safari and go to Safari > Safari Extensions... in the menu bar.
    2. If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    3. Click the Install now link.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• leemale15604
    leemale15604
    Community Member

Wonderful Have tried many sites and all working fine, so your solution for reinstalling the mini was right on Thanks so much. It would have taken me a week of Sudays to repair all those dam id & pw. Oh, by the way, another way to find the hidden Library (which I remembered finally, is in finder, GO> option command>Library. Thanks again. Made my day.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm happy to hear that helped solve the problem and that it seems to be working well now. You should be all set, but if you need more help or have questions about 1Password, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.