Is there a visual indicator for the number of shared vault password reveals?

c1funk
c1funk
Community Member

Forgive me if this already exists; however, I poked around in the Family forum and cannot see anything like what I am envisioning.

With a soon-to-be teen, I'd like to have peace of mind regarding the ability to monitor his accounts, while also allowing him a certain level of comfort in knowing that I respect his privacy.

I always imagined I'd have my son place his social media/email passwords in a sealed envelope w/his signature over the seal.
If anything happened to him, I'd be able to access his accounts, and he could see if the seal was broken to ensure that I would only access his accounts in case of an emergency.

Now we have 1password Family account and we can share digital vaults.

In addition to our own personal and shared vaults, my wife and I have "full access" to my son's vault.

We'd like for our our son's vault:

• to list the titles of the technologies for which he has an account (Feature Already Exists)
  • obscure the passwords (Feature Already Exists)
  • display a "colored dot" with a badge number to indicate whether my wife and/or I revealed the password, and how many times we have revealed it.
    (For the above scenario, I imagine that my wife and I would have different colored dots associated with our accounts. If easier because it is already built into your system, our profile image could be displayed next to his passwords with a number on indicating how many times we revealed the password.)

A system such as the one described above would encourage my son to use the security/efficiency features of 1password, confidently knowing that any intrusion into his privacy by his parents would be recorded.

Three questions remain:
1. Does my above description make sense?
2. Does 1password Family already do something similar to this that I may enable in the settings?
3. If not, is it possible to add a feature such as this in the future?

Thank you very much,
Craig
User of 1password for 5+ years

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Hi @c1funk,

That's a really interesting idea.

1. Does my above description make sense?

I think so. Effectively you're looking for a way to have it be possible for your son to see whether you've looked at something. While technically you can look at anything, and he knows that, it'd be nice for him to have a way to verify that this hasn't been abused.

I like that.

1. Does 1password Family already do something similar to this that I may enable in the settings?

There is no such feature at the moment. At a vault level the server is keeping track of information that would almost do the trick. For example the server keeps a record of whenever you change the access to a vault. If we exposed that information it would allow your son to see if/when you granted yourself access to a vault.

1. If not, is it possible to add a feature such as this in the future?

Anything is possible. :) We've been working on something lately that might make for a good stepping stone towards something like this. I can't make any promises obviously, but this is probably the best use case I've seen for why this kind of information would be handy at a 1Password Families level.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Rick

• c1funk
    c1funk
    Community Member

Great. Thank you Rick.

You got it, our intention is to let our son know we care deeply about his development which is why we monitor him; however, we want him to be assured that we have no intention of abusing intrusion into his privacy except under emergency circumstances (and that the 1password system our family is using will safeguard him from us doing so). As always, trust is a two-way street.

With regards to number 2:
    Making note of any parental access to the vault would definitely work as a strategy for our son when he is an older teen/has demonstrated maturity/responsibility and proved his trustworthiness; however, as a younger teen, I would feel more comfortable also being able to monitor which technologies he is using so that we may use them as a springboard for discussions regarding what it means to be Digitally Literate .

Once he demonstrates he is capable of protecting himself online, I will then feel comfortable giving him sole access to his own vault.

If he knows that at first he will be notified if his mother or I access his password(s); and later, when he is given the additional privacy of his own vault that he will be notified if his mother or I access his vault, that would give us a tiered roadmap for his development of responsibility as well as a carrot with which to reward him along his path towards maturity.

I hope this feature request will stimulate a continuing discussion of features for the future of the 1password family product.

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work,
    Craig

• Thanks for elaborating on that, Craig. Very much appreciated.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.