Auto lock after a certain amount of time

Options
ianosh
ianosh
Community Member

Now that we have TouchID on Macs and it's well integrated on 1Password, I'd love to have my vaults to lock up automatically after a certain amount of time (my case, 15 or 20 seconds).

Putting my finger on the sensor is trivial, and I wouldn't mind doing that every time I need to fill in a form... but the added layer of security would be surely nice to have!!!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:auto lock after seconds

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ianosh,

I'm glad you're enjoying the Touch ID feature in 1Password!

If you'd like 1Password to lock itself more often, you can adjust its auto-lock settings. To find those settings, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Security. We have more information about each of those settings here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• ianosh
    ianosh
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Drew_AG,

yes, I'm very familiar with the security preferences of 1Password, but what would be great to have is an extra option that says "Lock after N seconds/minutes" regardless of whether my Mac is idle or not... Much like clearing the clipboard, but for locking 1Password! :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ianosh,

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the suggestion!

For now, in case it helps, you can use the ^⌥⌘L (control+option+command+L) keyboard shortcut at any time (and while using any app) to lock 1Password. I know that's not the same as what you're asking for, but I thought I'd mention it in case you want to quickly and easily lock 1Password instead of waiting for the auto-lock settings to kick in.

Thanks again! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• ianosh
    ianosh
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG, yep, that's what I'm doing for now :-)

Can the "enhancement" be added to your backlog?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ianosh,

I'll definitely let our developers know you're interested in that additional auto-lock option, although I can't promise we'll add it. We receive many different feature requests from our customers every day, and unfortunately we can't add them all. Our developers need to assign a priority to everything they work on, and there are many factors that can determine that priority. When a new feature or setting is added, the decision to do so is based largely on which ones are requested the most and/or would help the most customers. Unfortunately I don't think we hear too many requests similar to yours. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll never add it, but I don't want to give you any false expectations about that.

We definitely appreciate your suggestion though, as we're always looking into ways to improve 1Password. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else! :)

ref: OPM-3383

This discussion has been closed.