Login no longer works on 1 of 2 computers

Mashbits
Mashbits
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

I downloaded a trial version of 1PW on my Mac(1) and then decided I wanted a family account. I downloaded and created a family account on Mac1 and a 2nd Mac(2). I changed the password for the family account and I think both computers were logging in just fine but now the Mac1 won't accept the new password. It might have to do with the old trial version which I don't remember the password to. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app and Chrome extensions but it won't accept the password and clicking the + sign does not let me add another account to the app. I would like to completely remove 1PW from Mac1 and start over but the description of the process makes me concerned that it may delete the logins on my family account especially given that the apps on both computers show the same first 5 digits for the secret key. What are my options? Thx!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I safely delete one account without effecting a second account.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mashbits,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty after changing your master password! Since you had been using the 1Password app on Mac(1) before signing up for 1Password Families, I suspect that Mac still has the original Primary vault you were using before you signed up on 1Password.com. If so, it's asking for the master password for the Primary vault - that vault isn’t part of your Families account, so it has its own master password which can be different.

It's easy to check that, even if you can't unlock the app: On Mac(1), open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar. Do you see a 'Sync' tab in the Preferences window? If so, that means you have a Primary vault (if you click on the Sync tab, you'll see it listed there). If you still remember the master password for your Primary vault, you can unlock the 1Password app and then delete the Primary vault (assuming you're already signed into your Families account).

If you don't remember the master password for your Primary vault, you can reset the 1Password app and then set it up again by signing into your account. As long as you already have all your latest 1Password data in your Families account, you won't lose anything by resetting the app, because your account data is on our servers (you can see all your account data by signing into that account on 1Password.com in a web browser).

To reset the 1Password app on Mac(1), open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data in the menu bar, then follow the on-screen instructions. After resetting it, open the app again and choose to sign into your 1Password.com account.

Please let us know how it goes, and if you run into any trouble with that, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Mashbits
    Mashbits
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply Drew. When I go into preferences I do not have a sync tab. I do have a "vaults" tab but there is no information in that tab. It's all blank. What does that tell us?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mashbits: First and foremost, if you see all of your data when you sign in to your account on 1Password.com, you're good. We can do whatever needs to be done in the apps, and your data is safely backed up in your account. :)

Regarding what you're seeing, that is a bit odd. Did you use some sort of "cleaner" app to try to start over with 1Password at some point? It may be that things are mixed up because some preferences were wiped out.

You should only have a Sync tab in Preferences if you've enabled local vaults in Preferences > Advanced though. If you're using a 1Password.com account, you should leave that disabled.

The Vaults tab being empty makes me think you may not be signed into your 1Password.com account in the app yet though. If you go to Preferences > Accounts, are you signed in there? If no, be sure to setup your account there.

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• Mashbits
    Mashbits
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, Good to hear that I can reset my 1Password app and then set it up again without affecting my passwords. When I go to Preferences > Accounts it tells me I am in trial mode. The "sign in address" listed is different than the sign in address for my family account but oddly, the first 8 digits of the secret key look the same as my family account. That's what had me worried that resetting the app might affect the passwords in my family account.

• Mashbits
    Mashbits
    Community Member

I have reset the app on my Mac and everything is working as it should. Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it sorted out. If you'd switched your account from an individual setup to a family plan, that would explain why the Sign In URL changed. Anyway it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.