hard drive failure - now looking to get one password data back from a sqlite file

Peter_Blanch
Peter_Blanch
Community Member

Hi,
The hard drive on my old 2009 iMac recently failed. I had installed onto it the "one password" app off the Mac App Store. The version of "one password" installed was 3.9.6. Over the years I had not updated the one password app.

I recently purchased a new iMac [that is running sierra] and installed the latest version of one password from the Mac App Store [version 6.7]

I am looking to import all my old "one password" data - this is where I am running into problems.

Unfortunately I had not stored my data in iCloud or dropbox or other sync providers. Leaving me with only the time machine backups

I have been able to locate from my backups the 1p4.zip file. I have been able to unzip it. The content of the unzipped files are:

43EAAE961092437597326F6E04CA0D5D__35.changes
OnePassword.sqlite

there is no .agilekeychain file in the unzipped files.

Is there a way from these files to put my old data into the latest version of one password?

Thanks
Peter

1Password Version: 3.9.6 and 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Peter_Blanch,

I'm sorry to hear about your old hard drive! But fortunately it sounds like you had been backing it up with Time Machine, so we should be able to help restore your 1Password data from there.

Your data file in 1Password 3 would have been called 1Password.agilekeychain, and the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3 would have stored it here:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

Are you able to find that in your Time Machine backup? (Keep in mind that the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, which is located here: Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac user folder]/) If you can find the 1Password.agilekeychain data file, copy that to the Desktop of your Mac. Then launch 1Password 6 and follow these steps:

• From the ‘Welcome’ screen, click on 'More Options...' and choose ‘Restore from Backup’.
    • Click the ‘Pick a different location’ drop-down list and select ‘Choose a file on my Mac’.
    • Finally, from the “On my Mac” screen, click the ‘Choose File…’ button and select your 1Password.agilekeychain file from the Desktop.

Alternately, the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3 would have stored backup files here:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx/Data/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

If you find that in Time Machine and it contains .agilekeychain_zip files, you can copy the latest one to your Desktop, change _zip to .zip and then unzip that file, then follow the above steps to choose it from the 'Welcome' screen of 1Password 6.

On the other hand, if you can only find the .1p4_zip backup file, you should be able to use that, but don't unzip it. From the ‘Welcome’ screen of 1Password 6, click on 'More Options...' and choose ‘Restore from Backup’. Then click the ‘Choose Backup…’ button and select your .1p4_zip backup file.

Let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• Peter_Blanch
    Peter_Blanch
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your help - the last bit of advice [copied below] you gave did the tricked
    Peter

"On the other hand, if you can only find the .1p4_zip backup file, you should be able to use that, but don't unzip it. From the ‘Welcome’ screen of 1Password 6, click on 'More Options...' and choose ‘Restore from Backup’. Then click the ‘Choose Backup…’ button and select your .1p4_zip backup file."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to restore your data from the backup! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.