Prevent detect & save on existing websites

Options
kathampy
kathampy
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Can you add a global setting that makes 1Password stop detecting logins on a website, if a login already matches that website? I don't want to keep adding exceptions. This should ignore closely matched websites, since I may enter a new, specific login that I might want to save automatically.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kathampy,

1Password shouldn't be asking if you want to save if it already finds a Login matches. I think we may need a few more details to understand what is happening here. Could you let us know the following please.

1. What version of 1Password do you have?
    2. What is your preferred browser?
    3. What version of the 1Password Browser Extension do you have installed?

Questions 2 & 3 only apply if we're talking about 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows.

Along with this it could be useful to learn if you're seeing this on a limited number of sites and if so if you can maybe offer a couple of examples?

Once we understand a bit better we can hopefully work on better behaviour :smile:

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    1. The latest stable version on macOS (6.7.1) and Windows.
    2. Safari & Firefox
    3. The latest gallery version for Safari (4.6.5) and the latest stable version for Firefox.

This happens only on websites which use password fields for other purposes (such as CVV numbers). It's detected as a new login and not the main login for the website. This happens on router configuration pages where multiple usernames / passwords may be entered, but I'm not interested in saving those - but I do want to automatically save the primary login.

Sometimes it happens on websites which ask you to re-enter the password alone (where the username is a label and not a text box). This happens on Amazon, where it actually successfully fills the password box alone, but still asks me to save it on submitting the form.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kathampy: Ah, that makes sense. I'm not sure what we can do here, but we'll continue to look into it. The problem is that 1Password uses password fields to determine when it should save a login, and if what you've entered into the form doesn't match something 1Password already have saved, it's supposed to offer to save it for you. Believe me, we know this can be understioable (or downright annoying) in some cases, and we'll see what we can do to make 1Password smarter about this. But given the choice, offering to save a login unnecessarily is preferable to failing to offer when needed, as the latter can result in getting someone locked out of an account. So unless 1Password can reasonably determine that it should not save, the Autosave prompt (which can be easily dismissed) is "the lesser of two evils", so to speak. Thanks for brining this up. These are perfect examples.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

That's why I asked for an optional setting which can be globally enabled. If a login already exists and matches a website, then don't prompt to save new ones.

Getting locked out is unlikely since passwords generated by 1Password are saved as standalone passwords until converted to a login. Any other unsaved password would have been manually typed by the user, and should be remembered by the user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kathampy: Totally. It's something we can consider. In the mean time, you can always disable Autosave for specific domains in 1Password Preferences > Browsers. Cheers! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any other unsaved password would have been manually typed by the user, and should be remembered by the user.

Just a small point that this is not necessarily true. iCloud Keychain has its own password generating feature and as far as I know those are not saved anywhere. So, it could be possible for a user to fill a password that they don't know but that then is not saved anywhere and they end up locked out. I would rather we err on the side of caution and let a user dismiss an errant autosave prompt than risk false negatives that leave the user high and dry.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.