Best practice for images that haven't synced - clogging up Dropbox?

Options
Cassady
Cassady
Community Member

Hi,

I am using Dropbox for syncing from my Mac to my iOS devices.
Dropbox has been giving me issues of late, in that it is simply not managing to complete its syncing process.
[This happened once before - with an identical set of issues to the below].

Given that I make extensive use of Scrivener, and its Dropbox sync mechanism, I initially thought the issue might be with the something having gone wrong in Scrivener.

I eventually pulled the problematic Scrivener projects out of my Dropbox folder on my Mac, and sure enough, the number of files to be synced dropped down to 5. After a loooonnnnngg wait, it dropped to where it is sitting now, at 3.

The file most recently synced was a "band_D.js" file, and a "[alphanumerical-code]DCylA.json" file, which I believe(?) are 1Password files?

Note: For the duration of the sync issues over the past few days, only the 1Password folder, and Scrivener had the "blue sync" icons next to them. Now, after having moved the Scrivener projects out, its the 1Password folder marked as still syncing. AND now Spotdox, which is obviously trying to update its 734kb index file, after I restarted before coming here to post.

1Password appears to be the reason why both Scrivener were/Spotdox currently is, unable to complete syncing. Somewhere, somehow, 1Password is clogging something....

On opening Package Contents, the 1P vault confirms that the two files that still need to sync, as found inside the 1P Vault/Default folder, are two image attachment files, of 1.6mb and 1.9mb in size.

Even though both iOS devices confirm the sync is up to date, the Mac 1P has ONE more note than both the iOS versions.
I have since narrowed it down to two pictures that I added on the Mac. 1 was added to an existing note, the other was added to a new note. The new attachment is not showing on my iOS devices, and neither is the new note (with attachment).

Questions:

1.) What do I do to 'unblock' things?
Quitting/pausing/restarting Dropbox is not working.
Do I delete to two notes on the Mac, and add them again?
Do I simply remove the problematic attachment files in the Dropbox folder ["show package contents"/Vault]?

2.) How do I prevent this from happening in future?
As mentioned, the problems certainly started when I added the attachments a few days back. Them not being able to complete syncing, I think, is the reason that Scrivener and the rest have been thrown into some sort of a loop. Removing the problematic Scrivener projects, has narrowed the issue down to the 1Password attachments.

Am I simply to pay more attention to FIRST having the sync complete, before opening 1Password on the iOS devices?

I hope someone can help me as soon as possible, since I'm pretty hamstrung until I can get this sorted!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.7.1 (671001) AgileBits store
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Best practice for images that haven't synced - clogging up Dropbox?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cassady,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox! From your description, it sounds like the problem is that Dropbox is getting stuck when trying to upload certain files to the Dropbox servers. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about that, because that's a function of the Dropbox software. When you sync a 1Password vault with Dropbox, the 1Password app on your Mac simply writes data to the local Dropbox folder on your Mac. It's completely up to the Dropbox app on your Mac to copy any new or updated files to your Dropbox account on the Dropbox servers, and I don't know why it would get stuck trying to do that.

However, there are a couple things I can suggest to see if they help. The easiest would be to simply reboot your Mac. Once it restarts, Dropbox should try again to copy any un-synced files in the Dropbox folder to the servers.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting your 1Password sync bundle in Dropbox. Before doing that, you should make a new backup of your data as a precaution: Open 1Password and go to File > Backup. When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps to reset Dropbox sync:

On your Mac:

1. Open & unlock the main 1Password app, then go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    2. Click the Sync tab and change the sync setting from Dropbox to None.
    3. Click the box next to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    4. Open the local Dropbox folder on your Mac and make sure the sync bundle has been deleted.

Once you've deleted the sync bundle, Dropbox should no longer be stuck trying to sync those files. At this point, you might want to re-add your Scrivener data to Dropbox to make sure they sync correctly. Then you can continue with these steps to create a new sync bundle for 1Password:

1. In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    2. Change the sync setting from None back to Dropbox.
    3. Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    4. Click Create New to create a new 1Password.opvault sync file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    5. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Hopefully Dropbox successfully syncs that to the Dropbox servers. If it does, you'll need to update the sync settings in 1Password on your iOS devices, as it will stop syncing when it realizes the original sync bundle was removed from Dropbox (it will give you an error message about that on each iOS device, which is expected). Once the new sync bundle has completely synced, follow these steps:

On each iOS device:

1. Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing.
    2. Choose Sync with Dropbox.
    3. Tap on your Dropbox account name.
    4. When asked to choose a vault, choose the new sync bundle you created.
    5. Choose to merge the vaults if prompted.
    6. Enter your master password if prompted.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.