Does 1Password (for Mac) intentionally disable Dictation?

agent55317
agent55317
Community Member

I noticed that Dictation refuses to run (in any app) when I have 1Password running.

Is this by design?
For security?

1Password Version: 6.7.1 (671001)
Extension Version: 4.6.6 (Safari)
OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G1421)
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:mac dictation

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agent55317,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! The only way I'm able to reproduce that is if I'm editing an item in 1Password. I think that might be related to the fact that 1Password enables secure text input when editing item details. That prevents keyloggers from capturing sensitive information you enter in 1Password, but it also prevents other text expanding/auto-correcting software (such as TextExpander) from working while secure input is enabled. Dictation might need to have access to what is already in a text field when you use it, which could make it affected by secure input in the same way as those other apps, although I'm not completely sure about that.

I can look into this a bit more, but in the meantime, can you confirm whether or not you're in edit mode in 1Password when this happens?

• agent55317
    agent55317
    Community Member

That's exactly it. I was trying to use Dictation to enter my vehicle's VIN in a Secure Note.

1P's Secure Notes provide a great one-stop-shop for digital copies of titles, insurance cards, etc. Might as well throw in the license and VINs for easy copy/paste later on. I prefer Dictation for long numbers/sequences to minimize human/typing errors.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @agent55317,

Thanks for confirming you're editing an item when this happens! I can see how Dictation would help you to enter that information in Secure Notes. Unfortunately that won't work in 1Password due to enabling secure input when editing, but as a workaround, you could use Dictation to enter that into another app (TextEdit, Notes, etc) and then copy/paste it into 1Password.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that, but I hope this at least helps to explain what's going on. If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• agent55317
    agent55317
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

I ended up dictating within Sublime Text and copying it over.

Originally I thought I had to quit 1Password to use Dictation anywhere.

I learned that I just have to not be editing in 1Password. (I also learned there's such a thing as "secure input")

You guys really know your (security) stuff!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad that helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.