1password 6 or 4 folder

Dindo
Dindo
Community Member

Hi, on a mac, and my library file shows both 1pass6 and 4 folder. I thought i could get rid of the 4 folder so tried to delete it. Some files were not deleted as were being used by the app and so i realised that they were still necessary. I moved the pass4 folder back in the library, but many of the files were deleted, the back ups, a license folder, and various files in the data folder except for the ones that trash did not delete. Was any of that important? when i open the app everything seems fine.

thanks!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dindo
    Dindo
    Community Member

ah forgot to mention, in the 1pass 6 folder there is also a back ups folder, but the back ups there say they have less items, only the back ups in the pass4 folder state the correct number of items. can one of these folders be deleted?

• Hi @Dindo,

The 1Password 4 folder is still used and is where the majority of what 1Password saves lives. I'm not sure what created the 1Password 6 folder that you're seeing as I don't think the app has ever created such a folder.

My recommendation would be to zip up the 1Password 6 folder and keep it somewhere for safe keeping in case you need something from inside of it, and deleting the 1Password 6 folder. Keep 1Password 4 there.

Rick

• Dindo
    Dindo
    Community Member

apologies, the folder is not 1password6, just 1password, inside of it is the actual 1Password.agilekeychain file, which is not in the 1password4 folder. Shouldn't that be in the 1password4 folder then?

thanks

• rickfillion
    edited June 2017

@Dindo,

Ah, the "1Password" folder is where 1Password 3 and below stored their data. If you're no longer using 1Password 3 and you confirm that your Primary vault isn't configured to sync to the agilekeychain within this directory, you should be safe to get rid of it.

In 1Password 3, the "native format" for your data was agilekeychain. That explains why that file exists in the 1Password directory. In version 4, the "native format" was changed from agilekeychain to a sqlite database (Data/OnePassword.sqlite) and that's where we've been storing standalone vaults since version 4. That explains why you aren't seeing an agilekeychain file in 1Password 4.

Rick

ref: OPM-2833

• Dindo
    Dindo
    Community Member

I have zipped the 1password folder and relaunched the app which seems to work fine. That should confirm that my primary vault is indeed synched with the new .sqlite file in the 1pass4 folder correct?

considering i have deleted various files from that 1pass4 folder, is there anything i should watch out for, it all seems to work fine, but i just wonder what else is stored in the data folder which i might not notice is missing now and could come back to bite me later.

inside data folder I have:

3 x B5.sqlite files and
    3 x OnePassword .squlite files

everything else inside data folder was deleted
    from an older back up i noticed there were a bunch of .blob and .changes files in there too

thank you

• @Dindo : open up Preferences > Sync, and it'll tell you where your Primary vault is synced.

You probably didn't want to delete the .blob files, nor the .changes. The .blob (and .blob2) files were your encrypted attachments. The .changes files were unsaved changes to items.

You should really avoid deleting any files inside of that directory with exception to individual backup files that you want to remove. Everything else should be considered part of your vault and removal of anything could result in data loss.

Rick

• Dindo
    Dindo
    Community Member

ok thank you. I have a back up from a week ago, and it seems that all newly formed, or edited logins of the last week are still there. There is one of them that has an attachment and that also seems to still be in place. I will now copy all those .blob and .changes files from my back up back into the data folder and that should do it.

thank you for the support!

• You're welcome. We're happy to answer questions about what files serve what purpose. Feel free to ask us next time before deleting stuff so that we can give you better guidance.

Cheers.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.