I sync 1Password via iCloud. Will this require an app-specific password on June 15th?

Options
billj
billj
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

Beginning on June 15, 2017, Apple will require app-specific passwords for third‑party apps that access iCloud data.

I've configured 1Password for macOS and iOS to sync via iCloud.

Is 1Password going to require an app-specific password for iCloud syncing starting June 15th? If so, are there any tips I should know for implementing this?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.7 (670008) Mac App Store, 6.7.1 iOS
Extension Version: 4.6.6 Safari, 4.6.6.90 Chrome, 4.6.6 Firefox
OS Version: macOS 10.11.6, iOS 10.3.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billj,

Good question! No, you won't need an app-specific password to sync 1Password with iCloud. That will only be required for third party apps that need to store your iCloud credentials in order to access your iCloud account. For example, if you use a third party email app to access your iCloud email, and you needed to enter your iCloud credentials in that app, it will require an app-specific password.

1Password doesn't store your iCloud username or password in order to sync with iCloud. If you use the Mac App Store version of 1Password, it accesses your iCloud account via the Apple ID you're signed into in System Preferences > iCloud. If you use the AgileBits Store version, you're prompted to sign into your Apple ID via a web browser, and then 1Password is given an expiring token that it uses to access your iCloud account.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• billj
    billj
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Drew.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.