2passwords being accepted by 1password

Options
Terry Garthwait
Terry Garthwait
Community Member

Hello,

I recently changed my master password.

Now both my old master password and the new password work with my 1password data.

Here is whats going on:

When my computer restarts I open safari and the 1 password browser authorize window opens up (this happens every time I open safari after startup BTW) the code matches and i click authorize. I go to a website click on the 1pass icon in the safari tool bar, and the window opens up, I enter my new master password which is not accepted, I enter my old password and the extension opens and all my passwords are there.

Then I open the 1 password 6 app, enter my old password that worked in safari, but is not accepted, I enter my new password and the app unlocks.

I go back to safari and another browser authorize window opens up with a new code, now the safari extension will accept the new one but not the old.

Not sure whats going on here...any suggestions?

I uninstalled the browser extension and reinstalled, but no change to the above.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Terry Garthwait,

I'm sorry you're having such a strange problem with 1Password! Is it possible that you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed at the same time on your Mac? If so, that most likely explains the problem, because each of those keeps a separate database on your Mac, so each could have a different master password. The master password the browser extension requires would depend on which copy of 1Password it's connecting to. This would also explain why you're being asked to authenticate the browser extension so often (it would do that each time the extension switches between the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions).

If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see two 1Password app files in there? If you see one named "1Password.app", that's the Mac App Store version. If you see another one with a number in the name, like "1Password 6.app" or "1Password 5.app", that's the AgileBits Store version. Try opening them one at a time - which one has your latest data?

Let us know what you find and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Terry Garthwait
    Terry Garthwait
    Community Member
    Options

I think you have it!

I have in my applications folder:

1Password.app
    1Password 6.app
    (Both version 6.7)

and!
    1Password.app (version 3.8.21) woo!

My dock 1password icon points to the 1Password 6.app which is 10mb larger than the 1Password.app which was last opened about a month ago...but both have the same number of passwords.

Should I delete the old 3.8 version and the agile bits store version?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's good news @Terry Garthwait! I was hoping that's what you would find. :)

The 1Password 3 app isn't part of the problem you're running into, but you don't need it, so it's a good idea to delete it. Just drag the old 3.8 version to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete data files used by version 6).

As for the two versions of 1Password 6: 1Password.app is the Mac App Store version, and 1Password 6.app is the AgileBits Store version. It's best to keep the one you paid for. But first you'll want to make sure that the one you keep has all your latest data. The size of the app file itself doesn't matter, because that doesn't include your data (which is stored separately from the app).

Instead, open one of the apps and select All Items from the left sidebar. At the top of the item list (right below the 'Search' field), click the "...items sorted by..." drop-down list and choose 'Date Modified'. You should see your most recent changes at the top. Now do the same thing in the other version to see which one has your latest changes. Are they both the same? Do they each have changes that are missing from the other? Or does one version have everything?

• Terry Garthwait
    Terry Garthwait
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

Both apps have the same data/number of passwords/last modified date. As I remember I purchased an additional copy from the app store to allow for iCloud syncing.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/42047/2-1password-mini-manager-secure-wallets-syncing-in-icloud#latest

Should I go ahead and delete the AgileBits Store version along with the 3.8 version?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Terry Garthwait,

If both apps show all the same data, that definitely makes this all much easier. Normally, I'd say you should keep the one you paid for and delete the other one, but it sounds like you paid for both: you said you purchased the Mac App Store version a couple years ago, and I see that you bought a license for the AgileBits Store version before that (I was able to find it in our system by searching for your email address).

So it's really up to you which one you keep and which one you delete - either way is fine, as they have the same features. For convenience, you might want to keep the one that uses your new master password. Otherwise, the difference is basically just how updates are installed. When you decide which one to delete, follow one of these sets of steps:

To delete the AgileBits Store version:

1. Open the 1Password 6.app file from Applications.
    2. Hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    3. Drag the 1Password 6.app file from Applications to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).

Or:

To delete the Mac App Store version:

1. Open the 1Password.app file from Applications.
    2. Hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    3. Drag the 1Password.app file from Applications to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).

Once you do that, the browser extension will connect to the remaining copy of 1Password, and there shouldn't be confusion about which master password to use. Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• Terry Garthwait
    Terry Garthwait
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted the agile bits store version and moved the mac app store version to my dock. On startup the safari extension code was verified and did not return on the next start up. I checked my iCloud sync which still works. Yay!

everything looks good but do I need to clean up anything? regarding the "primary vault" where ever that is (do I have 2?) or do I need to delete one of the 2 entries for 1password in iCloud ?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/42047/2-1password-mini-manager-secure-wallets-syncing-in-icloud#latest

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Terry Garthwait,

Awesome, I'm glad it's working correctly and that you don't keep getting the browser authentication prompt!

everything looks good but do I need to clean up anything? regarding the "primary vault" where ever that is (do I have 2?)

There's no need to clean anything up - the database from the AgileBits Store version still exists on your Mac, but it won't cause any problems for you. If you really want to remove the data from the AgileBits Store version, you can go to ~/Library/Application Support/ and delete the '1Password 4' folder you see there (but again, it's not necessary to do that).

...or do I need to delete one of the 2 entries for 1password in iCloud ?

If you're referring to your question in that older thread, that's a completely separate thing which isn't related to the fact that you had the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions installed at the same time. It's just a side-effect of a change we made a couple years ago to the way 1Password syncs with iCloud. The extra entry in iCloud won't cause any problems, and there's no easy way to tell which one is active, so it's better to just leave it as is.

We're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• Terry Garthwait
    Terry Garthwait
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yes I see in application support:

1Passwd
    1Password
    1Password 4

might be time for a clean install soon!

Thank You!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Terry Garthwait,

It looks like you've been using 1Password for a long time - thank you so much for your support over the years! :)

If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password now, you can delete those three folders you found in Application Support if you want to (but like I said before, it's not necessary to do that, as they won't cause any problems). In case you're curious, here's a bit of information about those folders:

• 1Passwd - That would have been from version 1 (or possibly 2?) of 1Password for Mac. At that point, I don't believe we had officially added "or" to the name yet. ;)
    • 1Password - This is the folder from the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 3.
    • 1Password 4 - This is the folder used by the AgileBits Store versions of 1Password 4, 5, and 6. We included the '4' in the folder name when we released 1Password 4 for Mac because it was a separate app from 1Password 3 and required its own data directory. Versions 5 and 6 were written as updates for version 4 and use the same folder (we didn't update the folder name for each new version as that could actually have caused problems).

Apps from the Mac App Store work a bit differently in regards to where data is stored locally on a Mac, so the Mac App Store version of 1Password uses this directory:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ (Don't delete this folder!)

Please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.