Feature request: beneficiary in case of (death/accident/...)

Options
wimvmourik
wimvmourik
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Families

Since I am enjoying the usage of a shared vault in the Families account, I am planning to use it to 'handle' the dreaded situation of an eventual demise of one or even multiple family members at the same time. Surely, nobody wants it to occur, but planning for it seems wise, right? I think a shared vault goes a long way in handling the situation where just one of the account administrators 'falls away'.
But how could I deal with the case where multiple/all administrators (mom/dad) are missing at the same time?

Old-age technology prescribes having a will and an account with a notary, who, as I imagine it, presents the inheritors with a big brown envelope containing some papers which were drawn up years before somebody passed away. Surely handy, but too slow for our current day and age, right?

So I wonder, as a feature request, how we could make it possible to somehow connect somebody/some party to the account, who has normally no access, until a certain real world event has taken place, which allows 1Passord to actually empower the somebody/some party with access to the account.
Hoping to live for another 70+ years, I am not in a rush for a solution, but you know; hindsight is a ....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @wimvmourik - I appreciate the details you provided and it's definitely a great idea. I think about this too. I'll be happy to share my use case with you. I have a 1Password Families account that I share with my wife. I copied everything she would need in the case of an emergency to a Shared vault. In addition, in case she ever needs anything within my Personal vault. I promoted her to a "Family Organizer" so she has recovery permissions. We both printed out our Emergency Kits and store them somewhere safe. Several customers have mentioned to me, they actually include their Emergency Kits with their Will. We don't have an exact feature for you this type of scenario but the Emergency Kit does a pretty good job since all your sign in details are listed. I'll definitely make sure to mention this to my team and maybe it's something we can work on implementing in the future. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your feature request with us :smile: Have a great weekend!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank my wife and I do the same thing. Makes it so easy, and ready for something to happen. All bills related stuff are in a shared vault, but she has my log-in info and I have hers. 1Password makes it extremely easy for stuff like this.

• Frank
    Options

I couldn't agree more but I think we could do better here, especially for Individual accounts. I'll make sure to bring this up and maybe it's something we can work on improving in the future. At least for now, the Emergency Kit does a pretty good job :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

@Frank
    Well an idea, make an auto destructs too. If a users doesn't log into a 1Password or app (a time a person sets, like 30 days, 6 months, or whatever) it auto destructs all the passwords. There are people out there that don't want anything of there's found. Like that joke I saw on Facebook, it was one of those medical bracelets and it said "format my hard drives" :lol:

• Frank
    Options

Love the "format my hard drives", that's fantastic! :lol: Interesting, thanks for sending over the the additional suggestions. :+1:

• UKCaveDiver
    UKCaveDiver
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm really happy with 1Password and 1Password family!

Concerning the topic of granting access to my vaults to a family member in case of emergency, I have to admin I do really like the approach of one of your competitors here. The competitor - which name must not be called ;) - has a feature called Emergency Access.

I do not have something to hide from my wife, but as a business owner with some partners, it's not ok to share all company secrets with my wife upfront.

Hence a solution where I could configure

• a list of family members, which are allowed to request emergency access
    • and a configurable amount of time (n days), they have to wait, where I could reject these requests

would be a perfect solution, to tackle all situations - from long-term illness to death.

Just my 2 cents to help me being prepared of any situation.

Thanks in advance
    K:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I do not have something to hide from my wife, but as a business owner with some partners, it's not ok to share all company secrets with my wife upfront.

@UKCaveDiver: I hear you. This is definitely something we'd like to better accommodate in the future. Thanks so much for your feedback on this! :)

• TildaColon
    TildaColon
    Community Member
    Options

"Several customers have mentioned to me, they actually include their Emergency Kits with their Will". It's worth checking whether the will becomes public record after death - it does in the UK (I believe).

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TildaColon! Thanks for that - that's a good point! Perhaps a good compromise would be to bequeath the Emergency Kit in a sealed envelope to someone as part of the Will; that way, the fact that they received an Emergency Kit might become public, but the actual details contained in the Emergency Kit would not.

• hippydoc
    hippydoc
    Community Member
    Options

This topic is very relevant to my present interest. Please include me in new comments.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hippydoc! No problem - now that you've posted in this topic, you can be notified of any future posts to it. You can adjust your notification settings here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

I hope that helps! :+1:

• hippydoc
    hippydoc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @john_m. I'll keep my eyes open.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @hippydoc, we're always happy to help! :chuffed:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

In the UK the will becomes public, because it has to be submitted to the Probate division of the courts. But letters kept with the will are not part of the will itself, and would not have to be submitted to the courts. At least, that's my understanding.

• Frank
    Options

That's definitely good information to know @danco :smile: Thank you for sharing this with us.

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Count on me on this feature. I do hope, you will come up with something that won't require too much effort for my family to get into my vault, but it also won't fall into the hands of a person you don't want to. It has to be something secure and yet not too complicated to get into the vault of your deceased family member. It should come with a "secret key"...The emergency access, I am referring to the competition's idea, seems like a good start but what if your family member loses access to that email address or the service has a data leak right before they get a chance to read the content of the email? I know I sound like I am crazy and paranoid but we live in an uncertain future, companies and its services come and go. Once, Yahoo was one of the most popular email provider. Google has become very popular and Yahoo, lost a good chunk of market share and users after there have been many breaches that compromised over 1 billion accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Count on me on this feature. I do hope, you will come up with something that won't require too much effort for my family to get into my vault, but it also won't fall into the hands of a person you don't want to.

@Catalin1P: That's the hard part alright. We'll see what we can come up with. :)

The emergency access, I am referring to the competition's idea, seems like a good start but what if your family member loses access to that email address or the service has a data leak right before they get a chance to read the content of the email?

I have other concerns myself, but that's a really good point. Email is also fundamentally insecure, so anything done there has to be handled very carefully. There's a lot packed into that statement, but to tie it in to your point, what if the emergency email is dormant long enough that it's recycled so someone else can get it? There's a lot to consider.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I would never, ever, trust any password in an email.

My wife has my info and I have hers. If we go on a big trip together, I'll give the info to my daughter or someone I trust the info. When I get back from the trip, change the secret key and password.

I feel like we're making this harder than this is actually is.

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@brenty >what if the emergency email is dormant long enough that it's recycled so someone else can get it? There's a lot to consider.

You are right and I totally agree with you but I know for sure that there must be a balanced way for security and simplicity. Everything that is based on technology is made by humans so there is always a way for everything and there will always be room for improvement. The questions is, how do you balance everything? I would like to help you in any way I can. Every idea can be used or it can lead to something bigger. I will brainstorm about this and I will post it here if it's okay with you guys.

@prime I agree with you. Emails are not trustworthy.

• Frank
    Options

Good point. I agree with not trusting email with any passwords. As I mentioned before in this thread, I promoted my wife to a Family Organizer, she has the ability to recover accounts. Anything she needs to access is within the Shared vault including my password for my email account. If for some reason, she has to gain access to my Personal vault, she will have the ability to place my account into recovery mode and log into my email account using the details listed in the Shared vault. We also saved out Emergency Kits somewhere safe to technically she could just log into the account using the details listed on there. Knock on wood this never has to happen. :+1:

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Frank This is a good solution too. The problem are my parents because they are moving slowly towards new technology. What do you do with this group of people?

P.S: I posted earlier, I tried to go deeper into the idea after I read @brenty and @prime posts but the system blocked me because I didn't get the quote function to work and I edited my post too many times. The bad part is I forgot my idea and I can't rewrite it.

• Frank
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @Catalin1P - Well that's a bummer and sorry for the troubles. I hope you remember and when you do, post it here. We would love to hear your suggestions.

The problem are my parents because they are moving slowly towards new technology. What do you do with this group of people?

That's definitely a good question. I can understand where you're coming from, my Dad is the same way. To be honest, I invited him over as a Guest. This way I can manage the Shared vault on my end and it's one less vault he has to worry about. Guest accounts receive all the same benefits - all the apps, auto-sync, web access, and item recovery. The only difference is guests only have access to one Shared vault at any given time.

Just my use case so I figured it might be helpful for you too. :wink:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Another thing I just thought about with family accounts. My wife and I are organizers, we travel together, and something happens....

All find that my daugher has access to my account, but what about the whole family account, rest of the members I have in my family account?

I can teach her how to take over in case of an emergency, but what about customers who don't think ahead?

If something happens to a family organizer, what happens to all the other members on that account?

One idea is mode that I can set up. If I go away with my wife, a setting that if I don't open my account once a day (or whatever) the account is automatically taken over/assigned by someone I pick ahead of time.

Just ideas... I should be working :lol:

I almost just gave my daughter organizer access until I saw this post:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79592/create-shared-vault-where-organizer-cannot-give-access-to-itself#latest

I don't want my daughter have access to any shared account that she shouldn't.

I wish an organizer can make another vault, that other organizers CANNOT see, unless the creator of the vault gives access to it.. even to another organizer.

My daughter is like me and likes to try things. I don't want to make her an organizer, then I get a call from her "oops I deleted your Bills vault", and I am screwed.

I can't make anyone a Family Organizer expect my wife due to this too. I don't want anyone giving themselves access to any of my stuff I share with my wife, or an "ooops I deleted this".

• Frank
    Options

That's an interesting idea and thanks for sharing @prime :+1:

This pertains to anyone in this thread, I really do (along with my team) appreciate any feedback or suggestions. We're always happy to listen and it's great to hear we have a passionate community that is always looking for ways to make 1Password even better. Thank you! :love:

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@prime Even if your daughter deletes your important vault out of curiosity because she wants to experiment something new or see how it works, isn't this feature 365 day item history, restore deleted items & passwords a way to revert that?

@prime That's a very good argument. Some content isn't meant for everyone, especially bills, credit cards, bank statements and so on.

I still can't get the quote function to work as I tried to reply to some earlier posts.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Frank I kept adding to my post, so not sure how much of it your read :lol:

One of the reasons why I come here, I like reading all these ideas and add if I can :)

@Catalin1P I know I can do that, it's just you know when something bad happens, it's never at a good time, ya know? If you get a flat tire, it's raining. She does something and I have little to no access to the internet to fix it :lol: She also doesn't need to see my bills, bank accounts, and other important stuff.

• It's such an interesting problem. We've had many discussions internally about it. We've not yet come up with something that we consider to be good enough, but it's something we're continually thinking about. It was brought up on one of the calls I was on today, actually.

Rick

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    Options

There's a lot packed into that statement, but to tie it in to your point, what if the emergency email is dormant long enough that it's recycled so someone else can get it? There's a lot to consider.

@brenty True, indeed there is a lot that has to be taken into consideration. One simple mistake and everything goes in the wrong direction like a domino effect.

There are some providers, like Google for example, that doesn't let you create an email address using an username that has been used in the past or has been deleted. This should fix the recycling problem, but then I guess this won't happen because of many reasons, like limited storage space....etc. So we go back to square one. I am pretty confident that there is a workaround for this issue because technology is created by humans and there is always room for improvement.

I would never, ever, trust any password in an email.

@prime Emails aren't trustworthy. Look at Yahoo. Over 1 billion email addresses have been leaked, mostly due to poor password choices or reuse of the password.

I feel like we're making this harder than this is actually is.

@prime I would rather have a complicated life than an easy one yet full of risks. It is better to be safe than sorry. Not caring at all about using a secure password makes life harder than it is already.

Hi @Catalin1P - Well that's a bummer and sorry for the troubles. I hope you remember and when you do, post it here. We would love to hear your suggestions.

@Frank After 2 hours my brain decided that is time to remember what I wrote about 2,5-3 hours ago but it got blocked by the spam system because I couldn't figure it out how to use the quote function, which I did now. I am happy to brainstorm with you as I think it is a delicate issue yet very important for unpredictable situations like unexpected loss.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Catalin1P - Virtual high-five coming your way! I'm glad you were able to get the quotes to work :wink: As Rick mentioned earlier, we are discussing this issue internally to make sure we come up with a secure solution to addressing this issue. It's definitely not an easy one to solve but with great ideas from the community and my team members I'm sure we'll figure this out. I agree with you, it's a delicate issue and an important one. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Catalin1P when I did my original post, I was just thinking about what to do short term (when you know when something can happen like a vacation), and why I felt people were making this harder than it actually was. Then I started thinking about the big picture and did a post or 2 after.

If something happened to my wife and I (the only Ongranizers in my family plan), everyone else on my family plan is actually screwed in a sense. I can show my daughter how to do this, but that would lead to giving her Organizer status, and I've said why I can't (access to shared vaults with my wife that has bills, bank, and other info she doesn't need to know about). I couldn't care less that my wife has access to this at all, but my I can never make my daughter or someone else an organizer because of this (looking at @frank and @brenty about this issue :lol: ) this is what got me thinking about the future. It actually makes sense to have a Family Organizer who isn't with me most of the time like a significant other... but I can't.

If AgileBits is talking about this, I know something will happen, but It just can't be half assed. They have to make it work with privacy and convenience. I too rather have a harder secured life than easy with risks, but I don't want the rest of my family to suffer after the fact.

This discussion has been closed.