Autosubmit is not working. Error: couldn't be opened because I don't have permission.

Options
saiyajin
saiyajin
Community Member

I followed the instructions by 'littlebobbytables' from here (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/232828/#Comment_232828), which didn't help. 1Password would indeed create a new script file in the correct folder. When I revisit the 1Password preferences the checkbox is not checked, however. When I the recheck it I get the same error.

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.6.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autosubmit

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @saiyajin,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the auto-submit option/script!

Are you getting the exact same error message as the one shown in the screenshot from the forum thread you found, or is it a little different? You said the error you see mentions something about not having permission, which doesn't appear to be in the error shown in the other discussion, so this could be a different issue. If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that message (just make sure it doesn't show any personal/private information). When replying, you can drag the screenshot into your message, or click the "Attach image" button above the comment field and select the file.

Also, are you having trouble with auto-submit when using the 1Password extension to fill sign-in forms, or when trying to toggle the auto-submit setting in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers, or both? Do you get an error message in both cases, or only when toggling the setting? If there's a problem with auto-submit when filling sign-in forms, can you please elaborate on what happens?

Thanks in advance! :)

• saiyajin
    saiyajin
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Dear Drew,

thanks for the quick response. The error message I receive is different (/Users/xxx/Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 13.09.39.png). This message appears when using the browser extension (Safari and Chrome, most recent releases each).

The other thing I observed may be helpful for troubleshooting but then it may be just the way the program behaves: While having the option 'AutomaticalIy sign in after filling...' in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers enabled I deleted the file '1Password_Autosubmit.scpt'. Right after that the option got itself disabled. I checked it back on which triggered the routine to locate the destination folder to create a new script file (I double checked that it was the correct location). After a successful creation of a new script file (I saw the new file in its folder and the positive message from the software) the option 'AutomaticalIy sign in after filling...' was not automatically enabled. Since it disables itself when the file is deleted I would expect it to enable itself as well when a new file is created. When I manually enabled it afterwards I didn't get a message from the software and the error message continued to appear when using the browser extension.

The permissions on the old an new script file are r&w by the way...

• saiyajin
    saiyajin
    Community Member
    Options

I can't seem to post the screenshot. Drag & drop obviously doesn't work and the 'attach image' option seems to open a window behind the comment area a I can't access it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @saiyajin,

Thanks for the additional information. It would really help if we knew the exact error you're getting. I don't know why you're unable to attach a screenshot, though. After taking the screenshot, you should be able to simply drag it from the Finder to the body of your message/reply (in the "Leave a Comment" box). Alternately, you can click the "Attach image" button above the comment field and select the screenshot file, or drag that file into that popup box.

If you're still having trouble with that, would you mind typing the error message manually?

• saiyajin
    saiyajin
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Drew,

again – drag & drop into this comment box will return only the local file path as a string. And the image popup box is barely visible: it looks like it is hidden behind this comment box. There is no interaction possible for me.

Here is the exact message:

The file "1Password_Autosubmit.scpt" couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it.
    To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

@saiyajin: Ah, it sounds like you may have some extension or other software that's interfering with the forum attachment process. No matter. Anyway, the message is almost certainly correct. Your permissions are just messed up there, and either the autosubmit script cannot be accessed, or 1Password wasn't able to set it up at all. Please do the following:

1. Quit 1Password completely (⌘ ⌃ Q)
    2. Download and run the 1Password Troubleshooting app (no need for diagnostics at this stage)
    3. Reset permissions for 1Password
    4. Open ​~/Library/Application Scripts/​ folder with Finder, e.g. using ​Go > Go To Folder…
    5. Trash the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder
    6. Restart your Mac
    7. Go to 1Password Preferences > Browsers and toggle ​Automatically submit logins after filling​ off and then on
    8. Confirm script installation

Let me know how it turns out! :)

• saiyajin
    saiyajin
    Community Member
    Options

Dear brenty,

unfortunately that didn't solve the issue. Here are the details of what happens.

At step seven Automatically submit logins after filling is first of all unchecked (it becomes automatically unchecked as soon as the Library folder gets deleted at step 5). Then, when I toggle it nothing happens except for the check mark to be there. Then I uncheck and recheck it again. Now I'll be prompted to name the target folder. But at this stage the folder hasn't been created by 1Password. So I go for the mother folder Application Scripts to see what happens. I get an error message that I chose the wrong folder but it is now that 1Password created the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder. When I now select this folder I get the following frustrating error message:

Wrong Script Folder Selected
    You selected
    "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" instead of
    "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper".

From there I'm stuck. I haven't found a way out of this loop. I can't even make 1Password produce the script file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2017
    Options

At step seven Automatically submit logins after filling is first of all unchecked (it becomes automatically unchecked as soon as the Library folder gets deleted at step 5).

@saiyajin: Great! I should, but I didn't want to take anything for granted given the permissions issue. :)

Then, when I toggle it nothing happens except for the check mark to be there.

Perfect. That's what we want in the end, to check the box so that the Autosubmit script is installed properly.

Then I uncheck and recheck it again. Now I'll be prompted to name the target folder. But at this stage the folder hasn't been created by 1Password. So I go for the mother folder Application Scripts to see what happens. I get an error message that I chose the wrong folder but it is now that 1Password created the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder. When I now select this folder I get the following frustrating error message:

Wrong Script Folder Selected
    You selected
    "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" instead of
    "2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper".

From there I'm stuck. I haven't found a way out of this loop. I can't even make 1Password produce the script file.

Well that's weird and annoying. I'm not sure why we'd be getting an error from macOS at that point. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: ENN-33543-889

This discussion has been closed.