"Bug" or "Feature"? Safari Login blocked, Safari Technology Preview login works

Options
PBAdams
PBAdams
Community Member

Hi, whenever I try to login to teams online using Safari I get this error message:

"Cannot sign in.
Accounts created before December 3, 2015, cannot sign in using Safari. You will need to use Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.
"

This morning I tried logging in with Safari Technology Preview Release 33 (Safari 11.0, WebKit 12604.1.25.0.2) and successfully logged in

So... what's the story with Safari? Will I be able to use the new Safari in High Sierra to access Teams online? Or is this message a spurious one linked to a Safari version?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: masOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@PBAdams,

Unfortunately Apple took a simple path in implementing their browser encryption libraries so the 10.12 Safari and WebKit framework used by other applications prevents the encryption algorithm that your account is setup with from working. STP includes its own updated WebKit framework with the latest implementations. High Sierra is the release that includes support for those encryption methods in both the stock Safari and the WebKit framework.

Rudy

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Nice! That's great news. Safari is my preferred browser, so I'm looking forward to one less reason to have Chrome installed ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to document the Safari exclusion. I often wondered why; now I know!

• rudy
    Options

@PBAdams,

No problem, let us know if you have any other questions.

:) :+1:

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.