Registered to express my displeasure in having to follow a subscription model

Options
jos1
jos1
Community Member

Dear 1password people, thanks for what has been a very nice product until you decided to follow a subscription model and mess everything up. I now cannot save any new passwords with the windows 1password, cannot possibly sync between macs and windows boxes, let alone my phone and I am expected to pay you a subscription fee in order to do what I was able to do in the first place without paying 36 dollars per year for the privilege... In a sense this fels like abandonware software... I am saddened by this and I am now looking for a new solution.
I believe in paying for software and for upgrading said software when the time comes, but your approach in forcing us to entrust you with our data while paying you for it, is both ill adviced and distasteful to me. Thanks for your past efforts but definetely not for your recent ones..

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jos1,

The software you paid for should still be working. We'd love to help you make sure that it keeps working. If you were syncing between Windows and Mac, it sounds like you were using Dropbox to do sync. You can still use Dropbox to sync. You'll just want to make sure you're using 1Password 4 for Windows, and then configure 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS to sync via Dropbox. If you're having trouble configuring this we're happy to help you.

Rick

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the same boat. 1Password is one of the few passwords manager that supports offline vaults (not requiring an online account). Please do NOT remove this feature.

I'm little worried that you're slowly phasing out this functionality. Two examples are you are constantly promoting 1Password.com on the forum and the absolutely HORRIBLE 1Password 6 for Windows that can't write to local vaults anymore.

Still love 1Password, though :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lemimouth: We don't have any plans to remove features. We've done that I believe exactly twice due to security concerns, and ended up bringing one of them back shortly thereafter with improvements.

I can see why you might think that 1Password 6 is "horrible" if you'd expected to be able to use it without paying, and that it would work with your existing vaults. But you should really give 1Password.com a chance and see for yourself. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it...and if you don't like it even then, we're grateful for constructive criticism and feedback based on your experience. It has a lot going for it already, but we're committed to continue to make both 1Password.com and our apps even better with each release. Cheers! :)

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I just did that, after some thoughts I created a 1Password account.

You're absolutely right by saying I wrote 1Password 6 is "horrible" because it couldn't manage local vaults. The fact is that previous versions of 1Password 6 for Windows COULD. I read in other thread that it was only for migration purpose. You really should have been more clear about that ;)

Also, I'm sceptical to the fact that your developers wrote all the code to handle local vaults, even writing (which I think is a really sensible piece of code in the 1Password core code ?), just for migration purpose. To me it looks more like a corporate decision that said "well, let's push our customers to our subscription plan and silently remove this functionality".

Anyway, I have to admin that the latest Windows version released a few days ago is great with using a 1Password account. I just wished it supports local vaults the same way as the mac version.

Cheers !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty I just did that, after some thoughts I created a 1Password account.

@Lemimouth: Glad to hear it, and am interested to know what you think! :)

You're absolutely right by saying I wrote 1Password 6 is "horrible" because it couldn't manage local vaults. The fact is that previous versions of 1Password 6 for Windows COULD. I read in other thread that it was only for migration purpose. You really should have been more clear about that ;)

Agreed 100%. We'd like to be able to have it all, but it takes a lot of time and effort to build an app from scratch. So we're prioritizing non-local vault stuff since we already have a Windows app for that...and frankly because we still have many other things to do.

Also, I'm sceptical to the fact that your developers wrote all the code to handle local vaults, even writing (which I think is a really sensible piece of code in the 1Password core code ?), just for migration purpose. To me it looks more like a corporate decision that said "well, let's push our customers to our subscription plan and silently remove this functionality".

Reading data is not easy, but writing it requires much more care and testing because it is destructive. We had to have a way to get data into the app (other than typing manually...), so that's sort of a no-brainer. And believe me when I tell you we know all of the areas where even reading local vaults falls down. Attachments are not supported, and there are plenty of legacy vault variations out there which 1Password 6 chokes on. Given that even reading local vaults isn't perfect, you should have some idea of how much more delicate write access would be.

Anyway, I have to admin that the latest Windows version released a few days ago is great with using a 1Password account. I just wished it supports local vaults the same way as the mac version. Cheers !

We wish that were possible too. It would have save us a ton of work, and you and others a lot of confusion and frustration. It had to be done though, and I'm glad that it's paying off — and that you're liking it as well! :)

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for the explanations. Yet honestly, in my specific case, I don't see any immediate advantage of having a 1Password account. Actually it makes things much worse :

• On my Mac at home I signed in my 1Password account, great. Then I tried to open a .opvault vault from my work that resides in some folder, and got a message that it is not supported :| (I can screenshot the message if needed). Before registering to 1Password.com I could do this without any problem.

• At work we use a local .opvault vault with 1Password 4 in a Windows environment. I installed 1Password 6 in parallel of 1P4 to open my personal 1Password account (yes sometimes I need both). Problem : the Chrome extension only recognize my 1Password 6 personal account. Second problem : before signing in to my personal account, 1Password 6 for Windows COULD read my work .opvault vault. But since I signed in I can't find a way to open my local work vault.

I anticipate you response about 1Password Teams, but let me tell you that after several security audits we had, we would have our heads ripped off if we store our passwords in some cloud.

Cheers

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

1Password 6 for Windows doesn't support Dropbox, but 1Password 4 for Windows, does.

1Password for teams is also HIPAA Compliant, and if you're worried about storing passwords, in "some cloud", Dropbox is a cloud.

• Lemimouth
    Lemimouth
    Community Member
    Options

I was not talking about Dropbox but about local vaults. My work vault has never been in Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the explanations. Yet honestly, in my specific case, I don't see any immediate advantage of having a 1Password account. Actually it makes things much worse :

@Lemimouth: That's fine. I'm glad you gave it a try, and appreciate the feedback. Even if it isn't a good fit for you right now, with your suggestions perhaps we can improve it so that it will be in the future. :blush:

On my Mac at home I signed in my 1Password account, great. Then I tried to open a .opvault vault from my work that resides in some folder, and got a message that it is not supported :| (I can screenshot the message if needed). Before registering to 1Password.com I could do this without any problem.

Interesting. I'm not sure I understand how this is related to 1Password.com though. It sounds like you're using 1Password 6 at work even though you don't use 1Password.com there, only local vaults. Is that the case? Shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here. Maybe there's something we can help with.

At work we use a local .opvault vault with 1Password 4 in a Windows environment. I installed 1Password 6 in parallel of 1P4 to open my personal 1Password account (yes sometimes I need both). Problem : the Chrome extension only recognize my 1Password 6 personal account. Second problem : before signing in to my personal account, 1Password 6 for Windows COULD read my work .opvault vault. But since I signed in I can't find a way to open my local work vault.

1Password 6 supports local vaults for importing. It isn't actually possible to select a local vault until you've logged into your 1Password.com account. Is that maybe what you're seeing? While 1Password 4 and 6 cannot function fully together, they can coexist to some extent if necessary. But I think if you'll give me a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish we can put our heads together and come up with something.

I anticipate you response about 1Password Teams, but let me tell you that after several security audits we had, we would have our heads ripped off if we store our passwords in some cloud. Cheers

prime is right. While HIPAA in particular may not apply directly to your situation, it's a high bar for security, privacy, and data availability. It sounds like 1Password.com is a good fit for you already, and the obstacle is your work environment. If that's the case, we'd be happy to work with your colleagues on this and answer any questions they might have. Please get in touch! :)

This discussion has been closed.