Questions about 1password for families

Options
avspinball
avspinball
Community Member

I have been using 1password for years. I bought a family license which allowed 4 or 5 (don't remember) to install and use license.
I see now that you are or have already switched to a subscription based format. I build computers and 1password is one of three programs that I require friends and family to have besides Macrium and Crashplan. I will not get into it here how disappointed I am. I already read all the posts about it.

So if I decide to use the subscription service I have a few questions.
I've read a bunch of info you have so forgive me if I missed these.

1. With family account do all members of my family have to use the same master password?

2. I see that each family member can have their own vault and make it private. I would prefer not to have family members see or see their sites that are saved. So even if they cannot access my vault can they see what I save info for?

3. We use dropbox for our vaults. We use crashplan as online backup. We have a clone of our computers created weekly on external drives. Monthly these clone drives are put into a safe deposit box at my bank. You see, I'm anal about backup and security. So can I backup my vault if your servers fail?

Thanks for help,
Steve

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: 3.6.21.90 & 4.6.6.90
OS Version: win 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @avspinball - Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the additional details you provided and it's great to hear you enjoy using 1Password. You're correct we do offer new subscription based accounts but you're free to continuing using your standalone license if that's what you prefer to use. I'll be happy to answer your questions below:

With family account do all members of my family have to use the same master password?

Good question! Each member of the family is provided with their own Secret Key and they have an opportunity to create a Master Password during the signup process. They will each have their own set of login credentials.

I see that each family member can have their own vault and make it private. I would prefer not to have family members see or see their sites that are saved. So even if they cannot access my vault can they see what I save info for?

By default, each family member receives a Private & Shared vault. Private vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more.

We use dropbox for our vaults. We use crashplan as online backup. We have a clone of our computers created weekly on external drives. Monthly these clone drives are put into a safe deposit box at my bank. You see, I'm anal about backup and security. So can I backup my vault if your servers fail?

One of the benefits of having a 1Password membership, we take care of all the syncing and backups on our end so you don't have to manage this. You always have the option of exporting your 1Password data. The exported file is not encrypted once it leaves 1Password, so I recommend moving the file onto an encrypted hard drive to be on the safe side if you decide to do this.

I hope this helped a bit. Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I know what you mean about 1Password being one of the first apps you install on a new device. For me it's 1Password, Dropbox, and Fantastical :smile: Keep me posted if you have any additional questions, I'll do my best to help out.

• avspinball
    avspinball
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• Frank
    Options

You're very welcome @avspinball :smile: Please feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always here if you need us :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day!

• bpabbott
    bpabbott
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'd like to upgrade to a family account. The web site does not function as instructions at the like below indicate.

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

The instructions from the link are;

1. Sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your family name in the top right and choose Admin Console.
    3. Click Invitations and click the Invite button
    4. Enter their email addresses, then click Send Invitations.

My "family name" is not in the top right, my full name is.

When I click on my name the options I see are "Home", "My Profile", "Billing", "Get the Apps", "Import", "Help & Support" and "Sign Out". There is no "Admin Console" option.

I purchased 1Password through the MacOS X App Store.

• Frank
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi bpabbott - Sorry for the confusion. The instructions you linked to refer to sharing with an existing 1Password Families account. Let's move the conversation over to email so I can better assist you. When you get a chance reply back to me so we can continue the discussion over there. :smile: Talk to you soon.

ref: TVI-77919-277

This discussion has been closed.