Over 40 authorized devices for my Family account

Options
learning_1pw
learning_1pw
Community Member

I just logged into my 1Password Family web site and went to the profile page. I noticed that I have over 40 authorized devices. I'm pretty sure that this comes from the fact that I use the Tor browser whenever I login to my web page. I not sure exactly what it is about Tor, however, that causes every login to be saved as a new authorized device.

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: na
OS Version: OSX 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password Family

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @learning_1pw,

I would agree with your suspicions here. Tor browser is specifically designed to not maintain state, which 1Password relies on to identify the browser you're logging in with. Every time you login from a browser that doesn't already have 1Password.com state information saved it'll appear to us as a new browser.

There really isn't anything, I don't believe, that we can do about that.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Ben

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member
    Options

One thing I liked about lastpass (before I came back to 1P) was that you can name Devices. This could be done with 1P also - when you sign in on an unatorized device/browser, one of the input boxes could be "name this device/computer" or a check box to have it like a one-time login (i.e. 1P can log it, but don't continue to authorize it after this one login). This way it could be easier to see which computers I have authorized. Example name 'Work, Chrome, 20 july 2017, 10:02'

• Frank
    Options

Hi @rr4242 - I appreciate the additional details you sent our way. There is definitely room for improvement here so thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions with us. I'll make sure to mention this to the team. Have a fantastic day and I hope to chat with you again soon. :smile:

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing the information that I was looking for. I don't mind the inconvenience, because I like using Tor, but I was curious as to why Tor was causing me to have so many devices. You've answered that question for me.

Now that I know that it is happening, I'll make sure to remove the Tor created devices more frequently.

tom

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome Tom. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

There was a discussion thread about Tor authenticating 40 devices. I haven't detailed my usage but I have over 130 authenticated devices (and rising) in a 7 month period. I have HTTPS Everywhere, Adblockers installed in Chrome and NoScript in Firefox etc, I have logged into iPads, iPhones, Mac and Windows. I clear my browsers' cache. I wonder if the problem with Tor is that the cache is cleared, or not preserved, for privacy reasons?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79769/over-40-authorized-devices-for-my-family-account

Should these devices be cleared?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I really think it's up to the individual. Since in this case the multiple authorizations represent the same browser being authorized over and over again, I don't think it really poses a security risk. Each time it will be necessary to enter all of the account credentials again because the local data is being cleared, after all. However, I can see where some folks might want to remove these anyway to be tidy, or to make it easier to recognize the devices that they're still using. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.