Cannot sign on via my MacBook Pro, can from iPad Pro —help!

catsongs
catsongs
Community Member

Aloha,

To date, I've never had a problem with 1Password.

Just now, my MacBook Pro (2016) no longer accepts the Master Password. (And, yes, it's been entered — repeatedly — correctly.)

I CAN sign in with my fingerprint.

But if i try to change the Master Password from inside, the MacBook Pro doesn't recognize the "old" MP.

YET...

Signing in via my iPad Pro: the Master Password works fine.

I CAN change the Master Password... that is, it recognizes the "old" MP...

... but...

... you guessed it...

... still can't sign in through my MacBook Pro

The MacBook Pro continues to not accept the MP.

And when prompted, the hint is for the old password!

So...

Through my iPad Pro, I change the MP back to... the one it's supposed to be.

The iPad Pro accepts the "old" MP, allows me to create a "new" one (same as the original), but...

... the MacBook Pro won't accept anything

... accept my fingerprint!!!!

Since starting with 1Password, I've had zero problems...

... but now I've got a HUGE problem...

Please help.

Dr. Peterson

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 6.7.1
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Master Password not recognized

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @catsongs,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your master password on your Mac!

It looks like you're syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox. After changing your master password from your iPad, you'll still need to unlock 1Password on your Mac once more with the old master password because the 1Password app doesn't sync until it's unlocked. After unlocking it with the old master password (the one that matches the hint), allow 1Password to finish syncing with Dropbox, then lock the app again - now you should be able to unlock it with the new master password.

If that doesn't work because it won't accept the old master password, please check the sync settings on your Mac and iPad to make sure they're correct:

On your Mac:

1. Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar (you can do this even if the app is locked).
    2. Click the Sync tab.
    3. Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    4. If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (Mac)
    5. If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync service or says Start Syncing, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (iOS)
    • If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync settings, tap "Sync Service" and check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

If the problem is that one is syncing with a different sync file than the other, you'll need to disable the sync, then set it up again and choose the correct sync file.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.