If I upgrade from just having a license to a membership, how does the secret key come into play?

jazzman
jazzman
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Mac

Is the secret key part of the sign in process, and does it add extra security?

Also, I thought I already could sign in to my 1Password if my iMac went down by just signing in to 1Password on a new iMac with my master password. Is that not the case?

Last but not least, my 1Password already syncs across my iPhone and iPad. The literature says something about syncing without using a third party by upgrading to a full membership. Please explain the third party bit.

Is it difficult to upgrade to a full membership?

1Password Version: 6.7(670008)
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I purchased a license for 1Password in 2014. I use it on my iMac, iPad and iPhone. Everything syncs across those devices. Is there any real reason I should upgrade to the membership program that requires an annual fee? Everything seems to be working well. What am I missing?

Also, my default browser is Safari. I read the following recently in a newsletter from an Apple advisor, "Don't buy anything using Safari. Get the Amazon App on your iPhone or iPad and buy from there. The App is safe, your Mac is not. What ever store you shop at, there is an App for that! Apple has vetted every App. Safari on your Mac is the wild, wild west as far as security". Every website I use starts in 1Password and opens up in Safari on my iMac. What do you think about this?

• Aktariel
    Aktariel
    Community Member

The membership fee enables browser access, (apparently) the ability to attach documents from iOS devices, and some nifty features for families like Shared Vaults and being able to recover access if you accidentally lose it.

If you don't have need of those features and everything is working great, then no worries! Stick with what you've got. I imagine the 1P Accounts will add more features over time and the feature gap between it and Standalone might grow, but no need to fix what isn't broken.

I currently use both, actually - I'm a family organizer on a 1P Family acct mostly because I can do tech support for those less-inclined than myself, and I use WiFi Sync for most of my personal stuff since other family organizers could access things in my vaults. Instant secure cloud sync is very useful, though, and once the ability to create multiple vaults that can't be accessed by anyone else, even family organizers, is available, I'll probably switch.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hi @Aktariel,

Thanks for your response. I was reading all about the membership program and the fact that your vault would be on 1Password's server. Right now my vault is on my computer as I understand it. I'm concerned about putting my vault on a third party server. Should that be a concern? It just seems to me that it is safer on my own computer. As for the Secret Key, that would be really powerful if you could keep your vault on your own computer. Otherwise, just how safe is it to be sending this kind of info over the web? FYI, 1Pass is already in my iCloud, and I can access everything from there. Why would I need to do something different? This is a little over my head I think.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

I currently just have a license, and my vault is on my iMac. I am concerned about putting my vault on 1Password's server if I upgrade to a membership. I just have an aversion to it for some reason. It just seems to me that it is safer on my own computer. Am I wrong? Please enlighten me if so. I can also access my 1Password through iCloud. I just logged in to iCloud, and I can access anything I need through there. What am I missing? I would like to upgrade to a 1Pass membership, but I have an aversion to the fact that my vault would be on their server. Please advise.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @jazzman,

Thanks for contacting us with your questions! It looks like you also emailed us about this and already have a conversation going with one of our team members. We'll keep the discussion going directly via email so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: TGB-11799-458

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @jazzman,

I noticed you started a few different forum threads with very similar questions, so I've merged them together into the same discussion to avoid confusion. As I mentioned in my previous response, we'll keep the conversation going via email, where one of our team members has already been helping to answer your questions.

In case anyone else finds this thread while looking for answers to similar questions, I thought it might help to mention a few things:

• Information about the benefits of a 1Password.com account can be found here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?
    • The 1Password app stores your data locally on each device. This is true regardless of whether you use a 1Password.com account, or sync your data via iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN Server. So even if you lose your internet connection, the 1Password app will still work (it just won't be able to sync with other devices until the internet connection is back).
    • If you use a 1Password.com account, an encrypted copy of your data is also stored on our own secure servers. If you don't have an account and instead sync your data via iCloud, an encrypted copy of your data is also stored on the iCloud servers (or if you sync via Dropbox, an encrypted copy of your data is stored on the Dropbox servers).
    • With a 1Password.com account, you can sign into that account from the 1Password.com website in a web browser and view/edit your 1Password data. This is not possible with the other sync options.
    • If you have an account on 1Password.com, you also have a Secret Key which is needed (in addition to your email address, sign-in address, and master password) to sign into your account from the 1Password app or the 1Password.com website. We have more information here: About your Secret Key
    • In a 1Password Families account, each user within that account has their own Private vault which cannot be seen by anyone else. There is also a Shared vault which can be seen by all users in the Families account by default. Additional vaults can be added and customized as far as permissions.

Hopefully this helps! :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

I appreciate your help. If you have a membership(is that the same as a 1Password.com account?) instead of a stand alone license, does that mean you have your vault stored locally on your devices as well as one on your server? Then they sync automatically without further need for iCloud?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

As I mentioned to your associate by email, it really concerns me that my 1Pass vault is "wide open" in my iCloud. In other words, my vault can be accessed with my iCloud password. My 1Pass Master Password is not even necessary. That is really disturbing.

If I upgrade to a membership, how can my 1Password info be removed from iCloud? I want it out of there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jazzman,

I see that you're asking the same questions in both this forum discussion as well as your email conversation. Trace just responded to your email a few minutes ago, and I don't want to duplicate her efforts or make you jump back and forth between forums and email to find answers, but I'd like to briefly mention a few things to help clear up confusion not just for you but also for other customers who might find this thread.

If you have a membership(is that the same as a 1Password.com account?) instead of a stand alone license, does that mean you have your vault stored locally on your devices as well as one on your server?

A 1Password.com 'account' is the same as a 'membership' or 'subscription'. Sorry for any confusion about that - we use those terms interchangeably. :)

Regardless of whether you use the 1Password app by itself (i.e. standalone/license) or with a 1Password.com account/membership/subscription, the 1Password app always stores your data locally on the device. When you open and unlock the 1Password app (or the browser extension, or 1Password mini), the data you see there is always the local copy.

If you have a 1Password.com account, an encrypted copy of your data is also stored on our servers. That's used to sync your data with other devices where you've signed into your account from the 1Password app. Having a copy of your data on our servers also allows you to access your data from the 1Password.com website even if you don't have the 1Password app installed.

If you don't have an account and instead sync your data via iCloud (or Dropbox), an encrypted copy of your data is also stored on the iCloud (or Dropbox) servers.

Then they sync automatically without further need for iCloud?

That's correct: If you have a 1Password.com account, your account data syncs through our own servers instead of the iCloud servers.

...it really concerns me that my 1Pass vault is "wide open" in my iCloud. In other words, my vault can be accessed with my iCloud password. My 1Pass Master Password is not even necessary. That is really disturbing.

If that were true, that would indeed be disturbing. However, that's not the case. In your email conversation with Trace, you said you're accessing your data by right-clicking on a page in your web browser and choosing the '1Password' option from the context menu. That has nothing at all to do with iCloud - that's simply another way to use the 1Password browser extension. It's the same thing you'll see if you click on the 1Password extension button in the browser's toolbar. The browser extension works by connecting to 1Password mini, which is part of the 1Password app bundle on your Mac ("mini" is really the brains behind the 1Password app). In other words, when you right-click on a web page and choose the 1Password option, you're not connecting to iCloud - you're only connecting to the local 1Password data on your Mac.

The 1Password extension shares the same lock state as 1Password mini and the main 1Password app. When you unlock one, the others are also unlocked. So if the extension is already unlocked, that's because you've already unlocked it. If you lock the main 1Password app, you'll notice the extension is also locked and will require your master password.

If I upgrade to a membership, how can my 1Password info be removed from iCloud? I want it out of there.

Open and unlock the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion! If you have more questions about that, please ask by posting a reply here or by replying to Trace's email, but not both. Thanks! :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

Thanks much for the information. I was totally unaware that, even with a membership, I would still have 1Pass locally on my Mac. Plus I was also unaware of the function of the browser extension. I was accessing iCloud by first opening 1Pass and then logging in to my iCloud from there. So I had already entered my 1Pass Master Password. That's how I was seeing 1Pass in iCloud. When I logged in to my iCloud directly through Safari and bypassing 1Pass, I could no longer access 1Pass. I just did not understand how it worked. So there's no further need to get 1Pass out of my iCloud.

Beyond this point I will continue to communicate with Trace. Thanks for your help. I have learned much from both of you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @jazzman! I'm really glad to have been able to help explain how it all works and clear up any confusion or misunderstanding. If you have other questions about 1Password or need help with it, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.