App not opening

elizabay
elizabay
Community Member

Hi Support

When I attempted to open the 1Password app (as distinct from the extension) just now in order to register a new login, I got an error message: "1Password is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1Password and download it again from the App Store".

For the record, the extension still works perfectly OK.

I am concerned to follow these instructions because: 1) I have a lot of data recorded in 1Password and cannot risk having this data disappear if I delete the app. I could copy it all first, but that would be a mammoth task; and 2) I am a cheapskate and do not want to pay the 1Password fee a second time.

Can you please advise whether deleting the app, as suggested, would delete the data already recorded. In other words, do I need to copy by hand all the data presently recorded in 1Password before deleting the app and downloading a replacement? Also, if I delete the app, will I have to pay the 1Password fee a second time?

Looking forward to your advice. Kind regards, Peter J

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: ug:ios/fill-items-safari, kb:undefined, kb-search:browser extension for iPhone , kb:undefined, kb-search:browser extension for iPhone

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @elizabay

Thank you for getting in touch with us, I'm sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with 1Password but you'll be sorted out in no time! This happens some times with the version of 1Password that comes from the App Store but don't fear! Your data is always safe!

First of all, you have nothing to worry about. If you delete 1Password from your computer your data will be there when you install it again. If you want to be extra sure you can create a manual backup: go to Preferences in 1Password and then Backup and click on "Backup now".

About your second question, if you go to the App Store, 1Password should appear as "Download" and not purchase as long as your Apple ID is the same. If by any reason this is not the case and it asks you to pay again, please let us know and we'll help you figure it out :chuffed:

Please let us know how this goes and if you have any questions about this or anything else!

• elizabay
    elizabay
    Community Member

Many thanks for your help, Pilar.

Unfortunately there was no quick and easy way to generate a back-up along the lines you suggested because, as mentioned, I could not access the 1Password app. So I created a temporary file in Excel ... arduous, but I could not afford to lose all my passwords.

In any case, I then followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. What I will do now is create that manual back-up in case the problem occurs again.

Kind regards, Peter J

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@elizabay: Ah, sorry for the confusion there. The important thing is that your 1Password data is stored and backed up separately from the app on your computer anyway, so (unless you use a "cleaner" app that destroys everything) deleting the 1Password app will not affect your data. And if you use Time Machine and an offsite backup, you'll have something to restore from. This isn't something we can provide with the standalone 1Password app, but 1Password.com does include automatic offsite backup and item history for data as well.

• elizabay
    elizabay
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. The service you and Pilar have provided has been terrific. Cheers, Peter

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! It's been a pleasure, Peter. And we're here if you need anything else! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.