Help with data from v.4 to v.6

pt53
pt53
Community Member

Alas, 50 years of using computers and now stumped. Must be getting older than I thought. I just acquired 1Password 6. I need to migrate data to this version from 1Password 4. I set up an account. I had been syncing data via dropbox but am happy to use my account with agile bits. I must be missing some instructions in order to move my data in version 4. Can it be done locally? Can it be done between version 4 and my account? Then how do I remove version 4 and it's data?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: sierra 10.12.5
Sync Type: pending

Comments

• Hi @pt53! Glad to hear you're updating to 1Password 6. :) To move your data from 1Password 4 for Mac, all you need to do is check for updates in the app. then update to version 6.7.1, which is the one you posted that you're using. Once you do that, you can migrate your data to your account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Hope this helps!

• pt53
    pt53
    Community Member

For two days, the message I get when hitting check for updates in version 4 is: check for updates failed with error: could not understand response from server. Also, when I try to open 1P version 6, it no longer accepts my password, which was duly recorded in emergency kit established on my PC. What now? (There are only a few bits of data in V6 so far.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pt53: Thanks for following up. I'm really sorry that didn't work for you, and for the delay in my reply. :(

1Password 4 is very old, so sounds like you'll need to download install the latest version manually. Please follow these steps:

1. Drag the 1Password 4 app to the Trash — do not use a "cleaner" app!
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from our website
    4. Open the 1Password installer from your Downloads folder and setup the app (you'll probably need to enter your macOS user account password to allow this)
    5. Once you've installed the new version of 1Password, open it from your Applications folder and migrate your data

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.