To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret key CHANGE question

Options
mjwinal
mjwinal
Community Member

I think the secret key encryption element is really really good. Is there a procedure to periodically CHANGE (rotate) the secret key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@mjwinal yup, log into the website, just go under my profile in the upper right hand corner you'll see "manage", that's a drop down, and you'll see "regenerate secret key".

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mjwinal,

prime has got the correct procedure outlined. :) Please note though that it isn't necessary to change the Secret Key unless you believe it may be compromised. Doing so will invalidate your Emergency Kit (you'll need to generate and print a new one) and you'll also need to log back in on any devices you've authorized.

Thanks!

Ben

• mjwinal
    mjwinal
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! Thank You. :)

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Ben

• Stecyk
    Stecyk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for this post. Just to add to Ben's comments, once you've reset the Secret Key, you're prompted to save a copy. Do so immediately so you have a backup. And as Ben mentioned, you need to reauthorize your devices. I had my iPad and iPhone with me as I reset my Secret Key using my personal computer. From start to finish, it's only a couple of minutes.

Again, thanks for this helpful post.

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks for mentioning that! On behalf of Ben, you're welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.