Can i continue to use my 1Password master pass if i accept an invite to my wife's family account?

horoween
horoween
Community Member

I have a 1 Password account. My wife has her own family account that she invited me and my daughter to. If I accept the invite, can I continue to be able to use my master password, or will I have to use hers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can i continue to use my 1Password master pass if i accept an invite to my wife's family account?

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

You get to use your own. All family members have their own master password.

There are ways to migrate over, and it's not hard. I did it my own way, but not sure if it's the correct way lol.

People on here can give you the instructions how to do it the correct way.

How old is your daughter? If she saw under 17, you'll have to do some work arounds if you use Apple products. If she has her own Apple ID, you'll have to change her birthday to show she's "17".

Good luck!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@horoween I found this article, so I hope it helps you out.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@Prime

re: "How old is your daughter? If she saw under 17, you'll have to do some work arounds if you use Apple products. If she has her own Apple ID, you'll have to change her birthday to show she's "17"."

No not any longer, if they are using family sharing. My kids birthdays are listed correctly now. Using their own AppleID's logged into their own respective iOS devices and Mac user accounts. They were at one time altered much as you describe. However they are back to normal birthdays to allow family sharing to work as well as parental controls. Specifically purchasing restrictions.

Also check your link above, I am not sure it was the one you intended to post. May possibly be it but just wanted to check and make sure. ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@thightower are you sure? It still says 17+ on the Apple App Store. If you're under 17, it won't even let you download the app at all.

And stupid copy and paste
    Here is the correct link.
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Mods, can you fix the link in my 1st post?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@prime

Oh yes that restriction. :) Sounds like you may not be using Apple Family sharing or possibly you have the individual iOS restrictions enabled. We do not have the individual devices restricted at this time on the 14yr olds phone. Well some settings are enabled, just not app age restrictions.

This is how it goes for us. * Tested today moments ago.

1. My kids use the ask to buy feature, a request is sent to the parents/organizers. (I used FireFox in this test as its 17+)
    2. I approve it on my phone.
    3. On the kids end the request is processed, they also get a pop up saying it contains age restricted material aka 17+.
    4. They click "OK" I am of the appropriate age.
    5. download processes and installs.
    6. Fully functional.
    • Reverified using Puffin Browser which is also 17+
  • prime
    prime
    Community Member

@thightower

I got this for my daughter before she was 17 and before family sharing. So I'm glad at least with family sharing for the better.

Did you fix my link mr moderator? :p

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Prime

Yup,

No harm on video it was funny. lol

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@thightower thanks very much sir!

I need to be careful with that copy/paste with my iPad.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @horoween! Welcome to the forums :chuffed:

I hope the fine folks here were able to help you, but just to summarise: when you join an account as a member, you get to choose the master password you use with that membership. If you like, you can then migrate your existing 1Password data over to the account following our guide here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

If you choose not to migrate your existing data over to the account, just note that your account's master password, and the master password for unlocking the app with the "local" vault on your computer are two separate master passwords, so make sure you've got a good record of both!

I hope that helps :+1:

• horoween
    horoween
    Community Member

Thanks John. I guess maybe i am still a bit confused. I have a 1 Password account with a master password. If i join my family's account, will I still have my personal account/can I still use my current master password, or does everything get moved into a vault on the family account which requires the family accounts master password to access?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@horoween It depends a little bit on your preference, and on the type of device you're using 1Password on. For example, if you're using 1Password on a Mac, the first time you sign into a 1Password.com subscription account inside the app, it'll ask you if you want to migrate your existing data over to the account. If you say yes, it'll move everything for you, and then remove your old local vault, so you'll switch over to using the account's master password. If you say no, you'll still have your old local vault, and so you'll still unlock the app using your old master password. You can always manually migrate your data over at a later date if you so choose.

I hope that's a bit clearer!

• @horoween,

Just to clarify a point, a Family account isn't a single account, its a group of accounts. One for each family member. They have access to their own items as well as a vault for shared items.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.