To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confusion between local 1p user account and cloud-based user account

Options
dgaedcke
dgaedcke
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Memberships

I've been using 1P on my machine for several years
About a year ago, I activated a new user account on your (1P) cloud service
And I created a more robust master password on the cloud account at that time
I can't remember what features you touted that caused me to create the online account but I've never had any issues with it...
And I never had to change the master pw I used to sign in to my local 1p App/Vault
I've always used my original local PW to get into 1P

I recently got a 2nd mac & installed 1P on it to be able to access all my logins on the new machine
1P on the new machine always requires me to use my much longer & more complex cloud PW
My old mac (which I also continue to use) does not....

It bugs me that they are not the same and I don't understand it....
I'd prefer to use my original local pw (not the long complex one) for my daily sign-in but can't figure out how to set that up on this new mac

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.7.1 (671001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dgaedcke,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

There are two possible solutions here. The first would be the recommended path, and that would be to change your 1Password.com account password to match the local Master Password:

How to change your Master Password

The second path would be to enable local vaults on the new Mac. If a local vault exists 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of the local Primary vault. We do not normally recommend this setup, but I mention it here because it is how you are currently set up on your 1st Mac. You can do this by selecting 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Enable creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.

Again I'd recommend the former option, and in that case I'd suggest turning off the local vault(s) on your first Mac, after you've made sure all of your data is available in your 1Password account (check your 2nd Mac or the 1Password.com web interface). To do that open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > and disable the checkbox enable creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.