How exactly does iCloud sync work?

ohreally
ohreally
Community Member

I just purchased a license for my Mac and I got everything up and running. I LOVE IT! One quick question...how exactly is 1password syncing my vault? I do not see it in my iCloud Drive folder. Does the actual data rest on iCloud?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @ohreally,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this question.

When 1Password is set up to sync with iCloud it uses Apple's CloudKit API. This API is used for databases, whereas iCloud Drive is for files. Databases stored using CloudKit are not exposed in the file system like iCloud Drive files are.

Thanks!

Ben

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member

ahh, I see! So, this is kinda a security benefit vs. dropbox sync, where users actually see the vault?

• I wouldn't necessarily describe it that way. At best it would be "security by obscurity," which is no real security at all. It is just different than iCloud Drive, because the data being stored is interacted with differently (database vs flat files). :)

Ben

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member

makes sense. One more question....TOTP codes, do they sync to all devices if I switch to WLAN sync method?

• They do, though I'd warn that we consider WLAN sync to be an advanced option and limited technical support is available for it. :) If you're comfortable with that then by all means. ;)

Ben

• ohreally
    ohreally
    Community Member

Awesome! I am very comfortable with WLAN sync...probably more comfortable than any other method. I am so glad its an option, its the main reason I chose 1Password. Thank you for all your help today - I greatly appreciate it!!

• You're most welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.