I can't create a new software license entry by dragging from Finder. [resolved by dragging app icon]

sylvaticus
sylvaticus
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Mac

I've always been able to create new entries for new (and updated) software by clicking on the application icon in Finder and dragging to the Software License window in 1Password.

Today, I tried doing that and the icon just returned to Finder without creating the new entry. I tried exiting and restarting 1Password.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that feature missing in the current version of 1Password?

Thank you for any help!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.7.1 (671001)
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: macOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @sylvaticus,

That's definitely strange. I just tested that here and was able to drag the application in to create the software license entry just fine. Do you possibly already have an entry for that item (it should prompt in that case to create new or not)?

Rudy

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

Great question! I do have several entries (Corel Painter), and in the past I would always choose "create new" so I could maintain the license keys for every version.

I'm going to reboot and see if that fixes the issue. Back in a sec….

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

Nope. That didn't work. :-(

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

How embarrassing! I figured it out. The icon was a bit small in the Finder window, but I looked again and realized it was a folder icon, not an app icon. Dragging the app icon worked like a charm. blush

PEBCAK, or possibly an ID10T error. ;-)

• @sylvaticus,

Ah, good catch. I think the item list also behaves differently if you drag a folder vs an app icon onto it.

For a folder it should change the cursor to the standard arrow pointer as you're dragging and no other changes to the window occur.

For an application it should change the cursor to the standard "copy" cursor which has a green circle and a white plus sign in the circle. It should also change the main window to reflect that its going to attempt to create a new software license.

Let us know if you run into any other cases like that!

Rudy

• sylvaticus
    sylvaticus
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy!

• @sylvaticus,

:) :+1:

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.