Master password not syncing

tobindia
tobindia
Community Member

I changed the 1Passwrd master password on my MacBook Air but it did not sync to my various IOS devices (10.3.2). They retained the old master password. Individual Login passwords ARE synced. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @tobindia,

Did you unlock with the old master password, lock and then unlock with the new one?

Rudy

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member

I guess that I don't know what you mean, Rudy. I unlock with the old, but I don't know how to "lock" short of exiting 1Password. When I do that, I still need to use the old to sign in again.

• @tobindia,

You would hit the home button on the iOS device so that 1Password shows the lock screen the next time you switch to 1Password. Not strictly quitting 1Password. You also should wait until a sync occurs when you initially unlock using your old master password so that it has a chance to update the local storage from whichever sync method you've previously configured in settings -> sync.

Rudy

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member

OK. I tried that, but my master password is still not syncing. Any other ideas?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@tobindia, if you don't have a 1Password account and you use 1Password on multiple devices, you may need to change your Master Password separately on each of them.

Change the Master Password on each device to the same one you changed it to on your Mac.

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member

What do you mean by a "1Password account"? Obviously, I use (and pay) for 1Password, and I can sign into AgileBits. Also, I've changed my Master Password before, and it always synced to my other devices. What's different now?

• What do you mean by a "1Password account"?

A 1Password account refers to a 1Password.com subscription membership account, opposed to a standalone license (which does not include membership services).

Also, I've changed my Master Password before, and it always synced to my other devices. What's different now?

The answer to that question is a bit complex. We have a blog post to answer it available here:

AgileBits Blog | How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

Ben

This discussion has been closed.