Migrate 1password 4 data to web version

emily_m
emily_m
Community Member

I'm trying to migrate my mother's existing 1password 4 data to our new family plan subscription. I tried to follow the migration instructions at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/, however it seems like those instructions require a newer version of 1password than I can install on her computer because it's still running Mac OS 10.9. Is there any way to migrate all of her password and other saved info to the web version?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @emily_m,

Unfortunately not on 10.9. You'll need to update her machine to 10.10 at a minimum and then install 1Password 6 to use the native application with her 1Password.com account.

Rudy

• emily_m
    emily_m
    Community Member

Upgrading the OS to 10.12 (that's the earliest version available in the app store now) at her age and the laptop's age for the sole purpose of migrating data off of it is not a reasonable or viable option because of the potential issues in terms of UI changes, potential upgrade complications, and potential performance issues. Are you really telling me that she has absolutely no reasonable migration path at all? She just wants to be able to access her passwords on the more secure and easily updatable Chromebook she's migrating to and is paying for the new web service.

• Upgrading the OS would be the only way to use the 1Password service with the native 1Password for Mac app, yes. OS X 10.9 appears to have last been updated in 2014. The 1Password service didn't exist until late 2015. Unfortunately we can't support or recommend the use of an operating system that is no longer supported or maintained by Apple.

From your last post it sounds like you intend to migrate your mother to a Chromebook? If so I'm not sure I understand the concerns of UI changes or performance issues... Would this not be a very temporary problem, if it were to exist, while in transition from the Mac to the Chromebook?

I suppose if that is not a workable solution for you... you could create a new user account for your mother on a computer already running a compatible version of 1Password for Mac, copy her data from her Mac to that new user account, and then perform the migration from there. But that would still leave her without the native 1Password for Mac app on her Mac (I'm not sure if that is important to you at this point given the transition to the Chromebook).

Also, we do not currently have a native solution for ChromeOS. It would be possible to use the 1Password.com web interface from a Chromebook, but there is no publicly available browser extension at the moment. We do have one in semi-private beta, so it is something we're working on (see here), but it isn't ready for v1.0 release yet.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.