Break on update

This discussion was created from comments split from: Every time you update 1Password for Mac it causes Autofill to stop working.

Comments

• kycorvair
    kycorvair
    Community Member

You didn't answer his question. Why did this break on update? Why has that been happening lately with every update?

Please answer the question instead of citing the way to work around the problem. It is now July 2017 and this problem persists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kycorvair: I have no way of knowing "why" without a lot more information. For example, no one even mentioned the OS version they're using. But given that (until now) we've only received two reports of this since November of last year (and we never heard back from either of them that the problem persisted) I think it's safe to say that your issues are something else entirely.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, can you be more specific about "break on update"? Which version did you update from? And are we talking about updating the app or the browser extension? Thanks in advance!

• kycorvair
    kycorvair
    Community Member

Here's the latest data. Realize that I have been having this problem for several months, so, with reasonable confidence, I believe that you could just assume the problem has been present in every 1Password update since at least November of 2016 and with the macOS version most current when the 1Password update was released [I install updates on all software within hours of a new release, unless it is a major OS release]. I also experience this identical problem on two different iMacs: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011).

macOS Sierra 10.12.5
    Safari 10.1.1 (12603.2.4)
    1Password 6.8 (680015)
    Safari 1Password Extension 4.6.6 [and set to automatically update]

[I know how to fix the problem, but I don't understand why this problem is so persistent and am growing more and more frustrated that I run into this problem every time I install a 1Password update.]

• kycorvair
    kycorvair
    Community Member

I forgot to mention the conditions under which the failure occurs. Immediately after the update, the open and fill option within 1Password fails to work. The link to the appropriate page works, but the login fields are not filled. Using the "CMD-\" also fails. On occasion, the Safari extension prompts that 1Password is not open and asks to start up 1Password. Even responding to this request fails to have any effect. Usually, but not always, it is possible to navigate to the open 1Password application, copy the needed password, and paste this in the login field. Sometimes, it is necessary to reboot and delete and reinstall the Safari extension before normal operation can be restored.

If there is some critical step in successful installation that is consistently necessary, then that should be part of the installation procedure -- or at a minimum, an informational message should be provided in installation instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Here's the latest data. Realize that I have been having this problem for several months, so, with reasonable confidence, I believe that you could just assume the problem has been present in every 1Password update since at least November of 2016 and with the macOS version most current when the 1Password update was released

@kycorvair: I'd agree with you wholeheartedly if we'd been seeing other reports of this. As an interesting data point, while things have been pretty quiet on this front for a long time, the 6.8 release includes a pretty big change to browser communication with the introduction of Native Messaging with Chrome (for the past 6 years or so we've been using WebSockets)...but it does sound like you're using Safari, so that may not apply either.

But I'm really glad you reached out. Even if it's something specific to your setup in particular, there may be something we can do to find the cause and help find a better workaround. :)

[I install updates on all software within hours of a new release, unless it is a major OS release]. I also experience this identical problem on two different iMacs: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011).
    macOS Sierra 10.12.5
    Safari 10.1.1 (12603.2.4)
    1Password 6.8 (680015)
    Safari 1Password Extension 4.6.6 [and set to automatically update]
    [I know how to fix the problem, but I don't understand why this problem is so persistent and am growing more and more frustrated that I run into this problem every time I install a 1Password update.]

I hear you. Glad you finally got in touch. Frankly, I'm curious too. At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each Mac the next time you encounter this issue so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TGB-65335-426]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. And be sure to include any other details about the steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening so we can correlate it with the logs to pinpoint the problem. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: TGB-65335-426

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I forgot to mention the conditions under which the failure occurs. Immediately after the update, the open and fill option within 1Password fails to work. The link to the appropriate page works, but the login fields are not filled. Using the "CMD-\" also fails. On occasion, the Safari extension prompts that 1Password is not open and asks to start up 1Password. Even responding to this request fails to have any effect. Usually, but not always, it is possible to navigate to the open 1Password application, copy the needed password, and paste this in the login field. Sometimes, it is necessary to reboot and delete and reinstall the Safari extension before normal operation can be restored.

@kycorvair: Ah, thanks for the additional info. That's definitely not normal. I do encounter something like that on occasion when I've left Safari open with a lot of tabs for far too long (I have a problem). Generally restarting Safari does the trick, but I usually take the opportunity to just reboot since at that point it's usually been a while and Safari isn't the only app to run away with my system memory.

If there is some critical step in successful installation that is consistently necessary, then that should be part of the installation procedure -- or at a minimum, an informational message should be provided in installation instructions.

No, it's really pretty straightforward. It's just a few clicks for me: macOS notification for 1Password update, download update, install update — and for each stable version that goes out to all users, I get between 10 and 20 beta updates. That isn't to say that I don't believe you or to minimize the trouble you've experienced, only to illustrate that there are quite a lot of data points here and this just isn't something we've been seeing and ignoring.

• kycorvair
    kycorvair
    Community Member

Maybe you haven't seen it much because your user base is sufficiently knowledgable to fix the problem themselves. I have been using 1Password for several years now, and this is the first time I have commented on this problem. Have only commented one other time, but on a totally different subject.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, we have a pretty broad userbase, but technical folks often bring this stuff up too. Just because you know your way around a computer doesn't mean you want to (or should have to) deal with an issue like this.

This discussion has been closed.