First Thoughts

Afternoon,
I've recently been added to the Beta group as well and at first Everything was going great!

However, After I imported my password book from KeePassX, I've run into a very annoying problem.
A KeePass Feature causes an import mess in 1Password.
All changes in KeePass are backed up, so you can recover in the event of a change reversion.. etc. That wouldn't normally be a problem, however during the import process all of the "Backup" entries get imported as logins too. This means that I now have over 300 "backup/xxxxx" logins.

Now this isn't to say that this is actually a problem with the Beta, I suspect that it would happen to any 1P import of KeePass.

So, now that you know my problem. I'm proposing 3 possible product enhancements.
1.) Fix the import process to ignore backup entries (great for future people, doesn't help me though)
2.) Allow a way to manage login is bulk; Build sorting/moving to tags.. etc. Bulk Deletes.
3.) Add drag/drop features to select and drag login to trash, in this example. or drag to anything on the left. This is instead of click item, click edit, click move to trash. 3 clicks doesn't seem like a lot until you have to do it 300+ times, for a total of 900+ clicks.

Back to my mind numbing clicking now. ;-)
Thanks!
Lyle

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey Lyle,

Thanks for taking the time to not only reasonably state your problem but also give us some solutions. I don't personally have any experience with importing from KeePassX specifically, but our typical import process involves converting data to a 1PIF which resolves most data format issues. This usually works great, but you'll notice you can't import a 1PIF on 1Password.com, so adding that would be extremely helpful to Linux users.

I also agree that bulk management of items becomes way more necessary if you don't have access to any of our client apps. We do have some keyboard shortcuts on 1Password.com that can help, but this isn't the perfect solution. I can't give a guarantee when we might implement some of these items, but I like them all and I'll champion them for you.

When Dave first started the 1Password for Chrome beta (well it was an alpha at the time), I cautioned about some of the issues people would have if they weren't already using a 1Password.com account in their daily life. For example, we don't currently create new Login items automatically. However, our beta crew has been incredibly supportive, so we decided to open the "flood gates" a little. I sincerely apologize we didn't make this process easier for you, but I hope you'll be won over by both the security of 1Password and all the exciting features we are adding.

If you have any additional suggestions, please let us know. I hope you have a pleasant week!

P.S. Welcome to our Support Forum! :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• lhenders
    lhenders
    Community Member

Thanks Beyer,
    Yes it looks like things would have still been much easier if I was a windows or mac user. I'm sure I won't be the only one that experiences change-over issues. I've already worked through all of mine so, all is right with the world now. However, I pitty the next person that does what I did, and you can't even hit undo, to revert the import.

As for background, all the rest of IT here where I work transistioned to 1Password nearly 2 years ago. I was the only one that couldn't use it since there wasn't anything for linux, however I was given an account at that time too. So technically I'm not "new" to 1Password, I am just finally able to fully integrate with it, hence my import. The only import that was supported by both was csv, which is probably why the backup's were included to begin with. It never occurred to me to check the file prior to trying to import.

I just consider it a live and learn scenario. Maybe others can learn from my mistakes, and you might even be able to improve your product as a result of my mistakes too. :-)

Thanks again.
    Lyle

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lhenders,

Your story won't go unnoticed! There is so much more we can do to help 1Password members like you import better. In my free time (which there isn't much), I've been toying with ways to import data completely from a terminal. In my opinion, there's no need to limit us to the GUI world. I'm not at a point to share, but I look forward to the day that I can help fix issues as you've experienced.

Thanks for giving me a reason to focus more on these issues, it's much better to have real-world problems to solve.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.