Chrome Application Support folder located in /tmp [was: 6.8 update broke me and I can't roll back]

matp
matp
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Mac

Macos Yosemite. Google Chrome stable/latest. Chrome and 1password both are in /Applications. 6.7.1 was fine. 6.8 update got pushed and I made the mistake of applying it and now I am broken. Have a flight in 4 hours and other things to be doing (like sleeping).

Found a copy of 6.7.1 and installed it. No go. "Your data is newer that the application, you must update". It forces me back to 6.8 with a never-ending series of popups I can't get to stop.

With 6.8 restarting chrome does no good. I am guessing the issue is that my chrome working directory is always a random directory in /tmp for each session. This won't change (work requirement). I have to remove the 1password extension to get the popups to stop ("restart your browser" or "get help").

Super annoying. I need a work around and I can't imagine that I am the only person to encounter this issue.

It would be really nice if 1password supported easy rollback/downgrade when shit like this happens so I can postpone dealing with it until I have more time.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: local disk (to dropbox)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matp,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

You'll always need to make sure you stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password because there can be security fixes and other critical updates. In this case, we improved the way data is stored, so previous versions of 1Password won't be able to read it.

So knowing that you'll need to us 1Password 6.8, let's get things working for you there. :)

What I'd like you to do is follow the steps in the "If you use Vivaldi or Chrome Canary" section here:

https://support.1password.com/kb/201707/#if-you-use-vivaldi-or-chrome-canary

But instead of using one of the paths provided in step 4, use the path to wherever your ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/ folder has been moved to on your Mac. (That's the default location that Chrome uses, so that's where 1Password tries to read and write its native messaging manifest.)

Let me know if that allows you to get things running for at least one session in Chrome.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

To follow up on what @Khad said, I think you're likely going to need a bit more hands-on approach to allow the extension to talk to 1Password. I haven't heard of this approach before and especially never heard of it being a requirement, so I'm going to need some back story so I can understand the situation better:

1. How are you launching Chrome with this random /tmp directory?
    2. When it runs this way, how does it locate the extension? Are your user profiles stored somewhere else?

It sounds like whatever this configuration is also affects where Chrome looks for the support file that tells it where to find the connection to 1Password. Once we understand more about the configuration, we can give a better path forward.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• matp
    matp
    Community Member

I understand your point about moving forward and also that supporting rollback for users that may have come from many different origin versions is a little bit of a nightmare... the point is that if I upgrade and something is broken and I don't have the time to figure it out, then rolling back a package is a fast way to get unstuck so I can work on what I planned to be working on. Of course the problem should be sorted and the upgrade done before too long.

Appreciate the tip and it did resolve the issue for me. I had to update my default profile to include the Native Messaging bits that had been added.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Your point is well taken about the contingency plan for a borked upgrade. I'm glad we were able to resolve things so quickly for you, though! Thanks for letting me know everything is working well now. :+1:

EDIT: If there are minor changes to the data format, rolling back to a previous version can actually cause some damage. So our not allowing old versions to access newer data is for data integrity protection.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I should also add that these backwards-incompatible changes are rare and we have the protections in place to guard against data integrity problems when the database schema changes from one release to the next. So, for instance, imagine we add a new way of handling a particular bit of data in 6.8 and 6.7.1 doesn't know how to handle that. Your local cache of your 1Password.com data could risk some damage, so when we update the schema, we have this warning to prevent older versions from attempting to modify it. I hope that makes some sense. It's not just an arbitrary blocking of a downgrade but a protection to make sure your data stays intact and accurate and we take great pains to only do this when absolutely necessary.

This discussion has been closed.