Very poor 6.8 upgrade experience

cheeseb
cheeseb
Community Member

I upgraded 1Password from the latest to new 6.8 on the App Store. After that, it refused to automatically enter my user name and password for any application using my existing logins, without explanation. Quitting and relaunching 1Password and Safari did not help. Shutting down and restarting my Mac did not help. After several minutes of failed attempts to solve the problem, a panel belatedly appeared on my Mac telling me that 1Password requires authorization to work with Safari, and that I should match the given 6-digit code to the code showing in Safari. But there was no code showing in Safari. After contemplating switching to another password product, I closed the last two tabs of three tabs that were in my Safari window's tab bar, and there finally I found the 1Password code in the first tab, which had been hidden when the authorization panel appeared. The code matched, so I authorized 1Password for Safari, and now it works. What a terrible upgrade experience this was! And to make it even worse, I then downloaded 1Password-4.8.7.safariextz from the AgileBits website and double-clicked it to install it, but it tells me without explanation that it cannot be installed. I tried several times without success, so I will have to stick with the older 1Password-4.8.6.safariextz that was already installed for now, and continue to wonder what on earth is going on. An explanation for this mess would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.66
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cheeseb

I'm very sorry to hear that you had all this trouble with updating 1Password. While it's normal for the authorization code to appear sporadically as part of keeping you secure, it should appear right away. I'd like to ask you a few questions so we can figure out what might be causing these issues and ensure the next update goes better. Do you have any kind of anti malware software or other extensions running that can block content from displaying? If you try to install the extension again, would you mind showing us a screenshot of the error message that you get? This will help us get in the right direction so we can to the bottom of this!

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get all this sorted out :chuffed:

• cheeseb
    cheeseb
    Community Member

I do NOT have anti-malware software running, nor anything else that I am aware could block the display of content in Safari or anywhere else. The installation I wrote about was on my Mac Pro (Late-2013). I had a better experience when I later installed the updated version on my 15-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2016), in that the panel asking me to authorize Safari appeared immediately. Again, the code that appeared in Safari was on a hidden tab, but this time of course I knew where to look for it. This hidden-panel problem occurs whenever the user has a Safari window open and Safari's preferences are set to open a new tab automatically, because when you click the 1Password "open and fill" button it causes Safari to open a new tab, hiding the tab where the code will appear. I will try to show you the screenshot of the extension error message.

• cheeseb
    cheeseb
    Community Member

I had Console.app running when I tried to install the extension, but it showed no log message. As to what I just said about the "open and fill" button, maybe it was the button I pressed to install the update that caused a new tab to open -- I don't recall the exact sequence.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Thanks for that screenshot, @cheeseb. The steps here should resolve that issue (if you didn't already resolve it; I wasn't 100% clear on that part):

If you see “Safari can't install this extension”

Let me know if you're still having any trouble. We'll get it sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.