Password / vault overwritten and not sure what happened

jredburn
jredburn
Community Member

I use 1Password on Mac and iOS with a shared vault in iCloud. A few days ago my Chrome plugin stopped working and I reinstalled it to get it working. Today I noticed that one of my stored passwords was very old and incorrect. I saw I had both 1Password and 1Password 6 in the Applications folder, and deleted the latter (without fully determining if this was the correct approach) after verifying that running 1Password was the latest version. Now it appears that at least one password has been reset to a much older password and I'm trying to figure out what might have happened.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• jredburn
    jredburn
    Community Member

I've also confirmed that the password is the old, bad password when accessing from my phone.

• @jredburn,

It sounds like you probably deleted the wrong one. 1Password.app is the Mac App Store version, 1Password 6.app is the one from our website. They do not share a common data folder so unless you used an App cleaner your prior data should still be present on your hard drive.

Rudy

• jredburn
    jredburn
    Community Member

Yuck. You were correct but as soon as I reinstalled and opened "1Password 6" it momentarily had the correct password but then was overwritten when it synced with the vault. I suspect I'm SOL at this point, but is there any way to roll back changes to the vault when stored in iCloud (presumably in Dropbox I could get to history)?

• @jredburn,

If you view the item in 1Password for Mac do you see a "show previously used passwords" button? If so that may help. Alternatively you could try restoring a backup from prior to this happening:

1Password backups

Ben

This discussion has been closed.