Trying to update of 6.8 but get caught in loop where install is downloaded.

feynmanfan
feynmanfan
Community Member

Prompt that update is available appears. When I click continue download occurs and prompt appears with button to install and relaunch. After clicking this button a prompt appears that update is available . . . Rinse and repeat. Tried rebooting without any luck. Current version is 6.7.1

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:6.8 update not installing

Comments

• @feynmanfan,

It sounds like you might be getting caught by an OS level feature in Sierra called App Translocation, where by if the application is launched from the ~/Downloads folder it will then take that binary, copy it to a read-only disk image, mount that disk image at a /tmp path and then launch it. The fact that that disk image is read-only is what's landing you in the loop of infinite sadness.

You'll want to quit both main and mini, hold down the control key when you quit the main application and it will take mini with it. Then install the latest version from https://1password.com/downloads and it should get you up and running again.

Rudy

• DavidEves
    DavidEves
    Community Member

I have the same problem on Mac OSX 10.11.6 (El Cap).
    Start Updater, Downloader progress bar fills, Button to 'install and relaunch' when clicked switches to update available, then Download, and so on.

I will try the suggested workaround, but it not just happening on Sierra.

• Hi @DavidEves! Just wanted to check in with you. Did you get 1Password for Mac updated on your computer?

• DavidEves
    DavidEves
    Community Member

Yes. Downloading a copy of the new installer PKG and manually running it correctly updated my installation.

• Thanks for the update! Please don't hesitate to reach out if anything else comes up. Enjoy the weekend.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.