I updated my 1Password yesterday on my mac OS Sierra. Now it does not fill in username or passwords

lsdun
lsdun
Community Member

I have a mac with OS Sierra. I updated 1password yesterday, and now it does not fill in my username or password automatically like it did before I updated. Is there a way to go back to my old version of 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I updated my 1Password on my mac with OS Sierra operating system. It no longer fills in UN and PW

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lsdun

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear that you are having some issues with 1Password. Would you mind telling us what browser you are having issues with? Could you try it in some other to see if the problem is specific to one or more generalized? It would also be great if you could please restart your computer, sometimes the little things are the ones that do the trick ;)

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get to the bottom of this!

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I am using Safari. I don't know how to change to another browser. I have firefox and chrome available. I have restarted my computer but that didn't work.

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member

Same problem (I think). Using v6.8 for Mac and Safari as browser. Automatic login does not work and neither does the keyboard shortcut (command-backslash). Also have Firefox and there are no problems with it, but I much prefer to use Safari. Help please.

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I would prefer to use Safari, also. If I need to change the browser that 1Password uses though, how do I do it?

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I just learned how to change my default browser to Firefox, but 1PW doesn't work on that either. I am using a mac ver. 10.12.6 with sierra.

• fzidar
    fzidar
    Community Member

I have the same problem .I updated my 1Pasword and now automatic login dose not work.I am using Sierra 10.12.6.You need to fix this !!!!~

• davlab
    davlab
    Community Member

Same problem here using Safari 10.1.1, Sierra 10.12.5 and 1Password 6 Version 6.8 (680015) AgileBits Store. Will not fill in any passwords.

• davlab
    davlab
    Community Member

Problem exists on iMac at work (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and at home (same).

• davlab
    davlab
    Community Member

Fixed: Restart solved the problem. Now I feel dumb. I guess you should add a warning to restart after the 6.8 update. None of the many previous updates had any problems.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @isdun @lerbi and @fzidar

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with autofill. Could you please tell me some more experiences of what you are experiencing? You open safari, then click on the extension and click on a site, right? Then what happens? What happens if you are already on the site and you click on the item in 1Password? The more details you can give us will help us have a better picture and get to the bottom of this!

Thank you for much for your patience, together we'll get to the bottom of this :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hey @davlab

I'm sorry to hear that you had some trouble with the latest update, but I'm glad to hear that it got fixed with a restart. Sometimes software just needs some variation of "turn it off and on again", I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I hope that everything with 1Password goes well for you, but if you need anything else, we're always here for you!

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member

Pilar-
    I believe you have more than enough information to work with and should be able to re-create the problem using your own Macs. I've rebooted - several times - and done everything that I know of to correct the problem. In my case, I use the latest version of OS X and the latest version of 1Password. The problem did not exist before the latest version of 1Password. It doesn't matter if I try to log onto a site by double clicking in 1Password, log onto a site directly and then using the command-backslash shortcut, or by using the 1Password icon - in fact, if I click on the 1Password icon, absolutely nothing happens. The ONLY way to log onto a site is to copy from !Password and paste into the correct login box on the website. Not sure how this update was ever released.

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as lerbi describes above. I am using mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and the latest version of Safari. I am now able to get 1Pw to work using Firefox, but would much prefer to use Safari. Are you going to be able to help those of us in this situation?

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I have a correction. I have now determined that it does not work for me on all of my accounts like it used to before the update. I have some accounts that on the old version when I double clicked on it it would fill in the username and I had copy and paste in the password. Those work about the same with the new update. Some of my accounts used open and fill in with username and PW. Now it opens the site, but does not fill in anything. I have to copy and paste both.

• jks72
    jks72
    Community Member

Exact same issue with me. Very frustrating. Does not work at all on Safari (v 10.1.1), Sierra 10.12.5. Seems to work on Chrome.
    Pls fix.

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I think it is obvious you are going to have a problem getting this to work with Safari. Why don't you have them work on finding a way for us to go back to the old 1PW version until you can get the bugs out of the new one. The old version worked perfectly for me. I would pay money at this point to get it back.

• jpres
    jpres
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I did the updates from the App store and now none of my sites will fill-in the username and password. The only way to login to a site is manually copy them into the login page and click the login button.

I have tried restarting, rebooting and complete power off/on several times. Curious thing is that for several of my most used sites, 1Password no longer opens a browser window with the login page. Clicking the entry or the entry's "Open and Fill" function does absolutely nothing. Some of the other sites at least open the login page. I still have to do the copy/paste and click the login button on all sites.

There is obviously a problem and I will wait for the fix. Until then, 1Password is just a nice, secure place to keep my passwords.

Just so no one will complain about me not providing versions, they are macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Safari 10.1.2, and 1Password 6.8.

• curtisinoc
    curtisinoc
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Same problem: After Mac osSierra update to version 10.12.6 (installed 7/21/17), "COMMAND \ (backslash)" to autofill no longer works in Safari 10.1.2

1Password: Version 6.8 (680014) Mac App Store

Hoping for a fix soon.

• lsdun
    lsdun
    Community Member

I have now determined that 1PW work with Chrome. I would, however, much prefer to use Safari. Please work on a quick fix.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@lsdun, @lerbi, @fzidar, @davlab, @jks72, @jhk, @jpres & @curtisinoc

I've just tested the update process from 1Password 6.7 to 6.8 to see what might be happening. It seems there is a change in 6.8 whereby 1Password required the extension to reauthorise. What should have happened based on my testing is if Safari was open when you updated 1Password it would show you the authorisation prompt as soon as the update to 1Password was complete and the new version launched. If Safari wasn't running at the time the authorisation prompt would occur when you next launched Safari. I do not have a explanation as to why you are not seeing this authorisation prompt but it would appear as a result the extension has managed to get itself into a state where it isn't happening.

Here is what I would like you each to try for me please.

1. Open Safari and enter Safari's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Extensions tab.
    3. Uninstall the 1Password Safari Extension.
    4. Restart Safari. This is very important.
    5. Install a fresh copy of the extension from 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.

You should now be prompted to authorise the extension. These steps shouldn't be necessary and while a couple of you have posted if the issue was more widespread I would have expected us to be inundated with emails and posts so it seems to be affecting just a certain number of users. The change in 6.8 does not mean this will be required after each update, this is a one-off.

If this doesn't resolve the issue please post back here.

• pablo
    pablo
    Community Member

Exactly same issue. The above instructions didn't change anything. A user shouldn't do anything when You update Your software in the first place.

• pablo
    pablo
    Community Member

I'm a bit annoyed, because I had to update my OS and start using Safari instead of Chrome when 1Password stopped working and nothing I did fixed the issue. And here we go again. ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @pablo,

I would like you to create a diagnostic report for us please and send it in. This link will guide you through the steps and has sections for the various supported versions of 1Password.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

Once you've sent the report you should received an automated response from us with a ticket ID. Please post the ticket ID here so we can quickly locate the email and look at what is needed to help resolve this for you.

• pablo
    pablo
    Community Member

Done. :)

• curtisinoc
    curtisinoc
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

Your instructions worked for me. "COMMAND \ (backslash)" now works as it should.
    Thanks!

Instructions posted by @littlebobbytables :

Open Safari and enter Safari's preferences.
    Switch to the Extensions tab.
    Uninstall the 1Password Safari Extension.
    Restart Safari. This is very important.
    Install a fresh copy of the extension from 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @curtisinoc,

That's great to hear and apologies for the fight you've had to reach this point.

@pablo, I've been unable to locate an email from you. Have you received an automated reply from us and did the subject of the email contain anything that looks like this?

[#FEA-35364-395]

This is the ticket ID and I would hope either appears in the subject of the email or in the main body somewhere. This will allow us to easily locate it. Once we do we'll see what is happening for you.

• candydane
    candydane
    Community Member

I have had the exact same problems since upgrading a few days ago. I tried your suggested "fix" several times but that didn't help at all. Very frustrating!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @candydane,

Please restart your Mac, then send us a diagnostics report (see the instructions littlebobbytables posted above) if filling with 1Password still fails after that.

Sorry for the trouble and frustration with this. We'll get it sorted out for you!

• dlm67
    dlm67
    Community Member

I have the same problem since upgrading. You are making 1PW impossible to use. I am up to date with the latest version of 1PW and Safari. However, it works only after I uninstall it and then re-install it. Sometimes I get the icon in the top bar of Safari, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I get it next to the search bar. Sometimes I don't. 1PW Mini doesn't open. I have very important passwords in 1PW and I can't access them. And then ... I have no idea how to find the "secret" key because following your directions is like following Alice down the rabbit hole. So I can't correct the problem on 1PW. I can't locate the license, either. I purchased 1PW many years ago and I have no idea where or from whom. It's your product. Stop apologizing for the inconvenience and eliminate the inconvenience. You are forcing all your customer, subscribers, and supporters to waste a great deal of time.

• Hey @dlm67,

Thanks for getting in touch with us! I'm so sorry for any frustration caused here. Let's get you up and running with 1Password! It looks like you've sent over an email to us regarding the Secret Key and browser extension. If it's okay with you, I'd love to continue our conversation through email. You'll hear from me shortly :)

Ref: IRR-84175-277

This discussion has been closed.