Change in last modified updating in 1Password 6.8 for macOS

dmittman
dmittman
Community Member

In 1Password 6.7.1, editing an item and immediately saving it would update the "last modified" date. This behavior seems to have changed in 1Password 6.8, where editing an item (without changing any contents) and immediately saving the item does not update the "last modified" date. I didn't notice this change mentioned in the Release Notes, so perhaps it was not an intentional change? My use case is that I use some items as "markers" in a list of sorted-by-date items. For instance, I keep track of what software has been updated on my various computers by having a "marker" for my computers; software items modified more recently than the "marker" represent software that I need to update on that computer. When I've updated the software, I edit the "marker" to indicate that the computer is "up to date." I realize this isn't a usual use case, so I'm okay if the "don't update last modified if nothing actually changed" behavior is intended.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2017

Hi @dmittman,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. It appears this may have changed as a result of another bug fix, which would explain why it isn't mentioned explicitly. That said, the current behavior is the desired one. If no changes are made the last modified date should not change.

As for your use case... you are of course welcome to handle this however you'd like, but in discussion with one of our developers about this topic he mentioned you may want to consider adding a custom date field to the software item(s) in question, and marking the date you last updated the software using that.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. That helps, and confirms my faith in your designers. For now, I'll delete unused fields, since, well, they're unused for this specific use case, and when I get rid of the last one, I'll add the custom date field, as you suggest.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, @dmittman. :+1::chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.