How do I switch which of two vaults stored in Dropbox is my primary vault?

sethleonard
sethleonard
Community Member

On a Mac, I have two vaults, both using Dropbox. I accidentally chose the wrong one first when installing, and now can't get the other one to be my primary. How can I switch which one is primary?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:switch primary vault

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sethleonard

Thank you for getting in touch with us. You cannot change which vault is primary, but you can use a bit of work around if you want to change it :chuffed: Just create a third vault, select and move all your elements from the current Primary there, then move all your items form the secondary vault in to primary and either delete the now empty vault or move everything from the temporary one there and delete the temporary.

Please let us know if you try this, or if you want some more details about how to get this work :chuffed:

• sethleonard
    sethleonard
    Community Member

@Pilar My vaults are in Dropbox, so that doesn't really work. I tried to uninstall Dropbox, but it doesn't let me choose which Dropbox file is default when I re-install. Isn't there just a way to clear our the computer's data as to which Dropbox file to use?

• Hi @sethleonard

Pilar's instructions should work, even if using Dropbox. Could you please let us know where you're running into trouble following her instructions?

Isn't there just a way to clear our the computer's data as to which Dropbox file to use?

You could, yes. I'd recommend making a backup first:

1Password backups

Then you'll need to lock 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the menu bar. You can then set up 1Password on this Mac from scratch. The vault you add first from Dropbox will be the Primary vault, and the Master Password for that vault is the one that 1Password will unlock using.

Thanks.

Ben

• sethleonard
    sethleonard
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben . While Pilar's instructions may have worked, it seemed like overkill for the far simpler and cleaner solution you proposed of the full reset. That worked perfectly and was exactly what I wanted. I had no local data and was pulling everything from Dropbox, so just wanted to start over with which vault I started with.

Thanks,
    Seth

• Great! Glad to hear that worked out for you. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.