Latest 1Password 6.8 Update May Be Causing MacBook Pro 2012 Crashes

Elyk
Elyk
Community Member

I would not normally blame 1Password, but my Mac has crashed about 7 times today and none of the crashes happened until after I loaded the latest 6.8 update. The screen goes black, but the keys are still lit. I can only get it back by pressing power key to turn off and then pressing the power key again to restart it. I tried doing an SMC reset and few other things. On one of the crashes I got a funny screen with "Your computer restarted because of a problem..." Funny, reminds me of the blue screen of death that I never have experienced with Mac before. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: OS X 10.12.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password on Mac 10.12.5 might be crashing my MacBook Pro 2012

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Elyk,

Even one crash in a day is never pleasant, similar to when my Mac abruptly stopped responding to input at quite an inopportune moment yesterday and the only recourse was restarting it. I can imagine how frustrating yours having about seven crashes today must be. :(

We certainly want to determine what's triggering the persistent crashing and help you put a stop to it as quickly as possible. To do that, please start by creating a diagnostics report on your Mac using the 1Password Troubleshooting tool:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report (Mac)

Then add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#QFC-73483-298]

After receiving your diagnostics we'll have look and let you know what we find.

On one of the crashes I got a funny screen with "Your computer restarted because of a problem..." Funny, reminds me of the blue screen of death that I never have experienced with Mac before.

Yep, you could say that kernel panics on macOS / OS X are the equivalent of blue screens of death on Windows. :lol:

PS: Welcome to the forum and have a great weekend, regardless of the current trouble with your Mac that's hopefully short lived!

ref: QFC-73483-298

• Elyk
    Elyk
    Community Member

I sent off the 1Password diagnostics. Then after clicking on "kernel panics on macOS / OS X" I noticed they said to check your App Store for updates and I was surprised to see there was an update for 10.12.6 Mac OS, so I loaded it. Normally, I would be pretty excited that this would fix my problem, but after the install, my MacBook Pro did not come back to life like it would normally...it seems suspiciously like it crashed after the install. Oh well, it is up now and I await your thoughts. Thanks Elyk

• Elyk
    Elyk
    Community Member

Sorry, it kep crashing after I removed 1Password, so I called Apple Support and they seem to have isolated it to a faulty logic board. I hope this false alarm don't reflect badly on your great product and service. You can drop this case. Thx Elyk. (Note the troubleshooting involved resetting the SMC and doing the OPtion-Cmd-P-R Key power up cycle, just like I figured out from Googling it).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Elyk,

Sorry to hear that your Mac's logic board is faulty. I hope getting it replaced goes smoothly, as it did when the one in the Mac I'm currently using needed replacement.

On the plus side, it's a relief knowing 1Password wasn't a factor and nothing in the diagnostics report you sent indicated it was (which would have been very surprising). Other than hardware issues or macOS bugs, third party kernel extensions sometimes trigger system crashes and 1Password doesn't install/use any.

I hope this false alarm don't reflect badly on your great product and service.

Not at all! I appreciate your sensitivity about that, and maybe it actually helped discover the real problem sooner.

You know where to find us if there's anything else we can do for you. :)

Cheers!

• Elyk
    Elyk
    Community Member

Thanks again for the quick help. My Mac is getting repaired. The good news is I haven't missed a beat since 1Password works great on my iPad Pro. Keep up the good work. Elyk

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear 1Password on iOS has been valuable. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.