Watchtower in 1Password 6.8 has a privacy problem, always active, why??

Lize768
Lize768
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Mac

The new 1Password 6.8 has a bug. I update from 6.7.1 to 6.8 and then is Watchtower function active. Why? Why you make this?

Then I disable this function. Exit 1Password. Open 1Password again. The Watchtower function is active again. Bug or a feature? I think you hate privacy! Why you make this?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @Lize768

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. First of all, thank you for letting us know about this bug. I was able to replicate it and we'll look into it. We for sure want to let you decide whether you want to use Watchtower or not, we apologize for the trouble.

On that note, I do want to tell you a bit about how Watchtower works and the great lengths we've gone through to make sure we preserve your privacy. Not only we care about it but it's one of the most important things to preserve for us! This blog post tells you all the details, but in summary we send a copy of the full list of sites in Watchtower to your device and the comparison is done locally. The most we technically could access is whether you have Watchtower enabled or not (which we don't either!).

While we'll look into this bug for sure, I just want to reassure you that your privacy is not at any kind of risk because of this, we do not have access to any data from your as a result from it.

ref: OPM-5203

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Hello @Pilar

I wanted to put a bump on this as I'm seeing the same problem. I am running 1Password 6.8 (680015) from the AgileBits Store, on OS X 10.12.6.

Watchtower shows as enabled. I've always had it turned off, so I'm not sure when it started showing as enabled, but probably with the initial install of 6.8 like Lize saw. It is definitely turned on, not just giving me a false checkbox, as I see Watchtower warnings in my Login list (this is what clued me that it'd been turned on in the first place).

I turn it off in Preferences. I can actually just close Preferences and let 1P sit for a few minutes, then re-open Preferences and Watchtower will show enabled again, no need to exit the program at all. Though it does take several minutes for this to happen. If I re-open Preferences immediately, it won't always show Watchtower turned back on.

If I exit the 1P program and re-open it, it will immediately show Watchtower turned on again, no matter how recent.

I cannot seem to turn it off.

• @mousit,

This is fixed in 6.8.1 which is currently available in the beta channel.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.