Merging vaults

cappy
cappy
Community Member

Can two vaults be merged?
Somehow, I've ended up with two vaults on my Mac, but only need 1.
I have only 1 vault on iOS, but it's not the same one I have on my Mac.
Unfortunately, each vault has entries the other does not. I think the easiest way
is to merge the two vaults on the Mac (the system I use the most), get the contents of that vault synced to my 1PW account online,
delete 1PW on iOS, reinstall 1PW on iOS, then login to my account on 1Password.

How do I merge/combine two vaults?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Can two vaults be merged?

@cappy: Yep!

Somehow, I've ended up with two vaults on my Mac, but only need 1. I have only 1 vault on iOS, but it's not the same one I have on my Mac. Unfortunately, each vault has entries the other does not. I think the easiest way is to merge the two vaults on the Mac (the system I use the most), get the contents of that vault synced to my 1PW account online, delete 1PW on iOS, reinstall 1PW on iOS, then login to my account on 1Password.

That makes sense. Thanks for the details!

How do I merge/combine two vaults? Thanks

The best way is by copying the data from one to the other. Since you mentioned you're using a 1Password.com membership, I'm guessing that you've got a local vault which isn't part of this account on one of these devices. Otherwise you'd already have everything in your account and it would be the same on all of your devices. So you'll need to do something like this:

1. Open 1Password on the device where you have data not stored in your 1Password.com account
    2. Sign in to your 1Password.com account there (if you haven't already) under Settings/Preferences > Accounts
    3. Copy (or move) your data from your local vault (probably called Primary) to one in your 1Password.com account — for example Personal/Private.
    4. To avoid future confusion, remove the local vault (iOS: Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete vault; Mac: 1Password menu > Switch to vault > Primary, 1Password menu > Delete vault).

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

I ended up figureing this out over the weekend, and had to go through and manually delete all of the duplicates.

To avoid future confusion, remove the local vault (iOS: Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete vault; Mac: 1Password menu > Switch to >>vault > Primary, 1Password menu > Delete vault).

This option wasn't available to me on the ipad.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cappy: If you don't have a Primary vault, or if that is your only vault with no accounts signed in, it won't be possible to delete it. It sounds like you were able to get things sorted out though. Is that correct? Be sure to let us know if there's anything we can help with! :)

This discussion has been closed.