Since update to 6.8 1Password mini tries to connect to c.1password.com on every reboot

stukey
stukey
Community Member

Hi,

Since I upgraded to 1Password 6.8 for Mac (Agile Store version) I've noticed that 1Password Mini tries to connect to c.1password.com on port 443 every time I reboot my Mac. Why is it doing this and how can I stop it? Currently I am blocking the connection requests via Little Snitch.

I also noticed that "Use Rich Icons" was re-enabled in my preferences after the update. I thought that might be why 1Password Mini is trying to connect but I have since disabled that setting and mini still tries to connect to c.1password.com. I am not using a 1Password member account so why is this happening? I never like it when apps start making connections for no reason.

Note: This isn't related to checking for updates, because I already allow those connections to appupdates.agilebits.com.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.6
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stukey: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! We've been consolidating some things lately, and we've changed our caching server address from cache.agilebits.com to c.1password.com as you noticed. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• stukey
    stukey
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. Can you advise why 1Password Mini needs to connect to either of those server addresses? If I am not using Rich Icons and it's not related to software updates, so what's going on there? I think it might be related to the WatchTower service but would appreciate confirmation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017

@stukey: Without seeing the logs I can only speculate, so you'd be in a better position to verify what's being requested in your setup. But yeah, if you have Watchtower enabled it will definitely need to download the database from the server.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Just to be clear, we can't change this retroactively. If you have an older version that will still be using cache.agilebits.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I wanted to follow up here since, upon re-reading the entire discussion from last summer, I realize that some clarification may be needed. cache.agilebits.com is used for Rich Icons; c.1password.com is used for Watchtower. We will probably use only c.1password.com going forward, but even if we do it will be some time before that transition is complete. Hopefully that helps anyone having similar questions who stumbles upon this thread. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.