1Password backups missing

billj
billj
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 6.8 (680014) Mac App Store under Sierra 10.12.6. Syncing data via iCloud. When updating from El Capitan to Sierra some weeks ago, I performed a clean install (backed up data, erased drive, clean install of all software, restored data).

Prior to Sierra, 1Password would allow backups to accumulate in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups. I had to manually delete 1Password backups to prevent too many from accumulating.

But since upgrading to Sierra, 1Password seems to delete all but the oldest and very newest backups. For example, on July 29th, only 3 files were in the Backups folder: July 7, July 28, July 29. Today (July 31), there are but 2 files in Backups: July 7, August 1.

I have not deleted any backup files since July 29th, but have used 1Password numerous times before today. I would have expected a number of automatically generated backups to have occurred. But the ones from July 28 and July 29 are gone. Only backups from July 7 and July 31 were present.

Is 1Password automatically deleting the backups? If so, why? If not, what could be doing it?

Screenshot taken July 29:

Screenshot taken Aug 01:

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 4.6.8.90 Chrome, 4.6.6 Safari
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @billj,

Sorry to hear about the trouble here. 1Password 6 for Mac generates backups daily if any changes have been made since the last backup, with up to 30 daily and 24 monthly files kept. Since it appears you're not anywhere near that limit I don't suspect that it is 1Password for Mac that is removing these backups on you.

Do you have any utilities on your Mac that attempt to save disk space or "clean up" for you?

If you look in the backups folder, what do you see? The location of the backups folder depends on where you downloaded 1Password from:

• Mac App Store version

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

• AgileBits Store version

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Please let me know what you find. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.