To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New iMac and 1Password migration issue

Options
j_lee
j_lee
Community Member

Unfortunately I had a total iMac computer crash a couple of days ago. Fortunately I had my internal drives backed up with Time Machine. I bought a new Mac and am in the process of restoring my data files and applications. I was able to import the 1 Password application to my new Mac but when I open it I get an offer for a trial or to buy the software instead of loading the app.

I do have e-mails from AgilBits giving me my License # but I don’t see anywhere to enter it on the main screen.

On my new Mac, as a result of the software migration from my old Mac. I also have Data files (.sqlite) and Watchtower located in Libraries/Application Support/1Password 4. I was, however, using 1Password 6 not sure if that is a big deal or not.

In any event, how can I link my 1Password app with my 1Password Application Support files so that I don’t have to remember and re-enter 3 years of passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately I had a total mac computer crash a couple of days ago. Fortunately I had my internal drives backed up with Time Machine. I bought a new Mac and am in the process of restoring my files and applications. I was able to import 1 Password onto my new Mac but when I double click on the icon I get a 1 Password Welcome screen asking me if I would like a free trial. I just want to get back to my 1 Password application and hopefully retain my 2 years of passwords. I do have my old e-mails from AgileBits with my 1 Password license. What are my options at this point?

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to tell you that on my new Mac as a result of the software migration from my old Mac I do have Data files and Watchtower located on my new Mac in Libraries/Application Support/1Password 4. I was however using 1Password 6.

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Now when I click on the download Trial the website freezes and times out. What is going on ?

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

HELP PLEASE!!! I see that you have 16 people on your support staff but after 8 hours no one has responded to my post. Why?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The support team go through the forum from oldest to newest, so it can take some time. And additional posts push your place back, so you need to wait.

Yes, the files are located in Application Support/1Password 4. This looks odd, but it was a necessary thing to do when the transition originally took place. And since the average user never sees this folder (the Library is hidden by default) it is not that likely to confuse people.

I'm just a user, not support staff, and I can't precisely recall how the initial setup goes. But try starting from the beginning, accepting the trial, and clicking on "I have used 1Password before". It should be something like that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2017
    Options

Unfortunately I had a total iMac computer crash a couple of days ago. Fortunately I had my internal drives backed up with Time Machine. I bought a new Mac and am in the process of restoring my data files and applications. I was able to import the 1 Password application to my new Mac but when I open it I get an offer for a trial or to buy the software instead of loading the app.

@j_lee: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble!

On my new Mac, as a result of the software migration from my old Mac. I also have Data files (.sqlite) and Watchtower located in Libraries/Application Support/1Password 4. I was, however, using 1Password 6 not sure if that is a big deal or not.

Thanks for including that information. This should be fairly easy. Inside ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ you should see folder called "Backups". These will be dated and numbered. For example, 1Password 2017-07-31 23_06_28 (4 profiles, 3017 items, 9 folders, 95 attachments).1p4_zip is my most recent backup from the end of July with ~3k items in it. You'll want to find the one which is newest and drag it to your Desktop. Then, when you setup 1Password, you can choose Used 1Password before? > More Options > Restore from Backup and select the backup file to restore your data.

HELP PLEASE!!! I see that you have 16 people on your support staff but after 8 hours no one has responded to my post. Why?

I'm sorry we weren't able to reply to you within five hours of your original post. We do try to reply to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis, but as danco mentioned when you post multiple times you go right back to the top as "newest". I'm sorry for not noticing this until now. :(

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

I only have one file in Library/Application Support/1Password4. It is "1Password 2017-08-02 12_25_31 (0 profiles, 0 items, 0 attachments). 1p4_zip". The Restore From Backup does not appear to recognize that file as when I click on it to Choose it nothing happens. Could I have lost my backup data? If I have how do I start from scratch downloading the most current 1Password application (6.8 is the one that I was using before the crash). When I do it from the 1Password site it either prompts me to accept a trial which I have done but the progress circle continues to spin for 10 minutes and if I choose Used 1Password before I am prompted to do a restore which I may not have on my Mac, in the Cloud, Dropbox or on another device.

What advice can you give me?

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@j_lee: "(0 profiles, 0 items, 0 attachments)" means there is nothing in the backup because there was no data stored in that/those local vault(s) when it was made. Do you have an older backup that shows items are present? If you'd been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password you'd find its data at this location instead:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

If you don't see a viable backup there either, something has deleted them or they weren't backed up by Time Machine for some reason.

Alternatively, if you have your data on another device or have sync'd with Dropbox or iCloud, you may be able to get it from there. You won't have it in 1Password.com if you hadn't signed up for a membership and stored your data there. So, failing those options, you will need to start over with a new vault. Let me know what you find!

• j_lee
    j_lee
    Community Member
    Options

brenty - sorry for the delay in getting back to you. In the end I just decided to start over with a new vault. Thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries! I appreciate you letting me know that you've got things setup. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.