Activating new Mac with old data file

ctolson
ctolson
Community Member

I am activating a Mac after not using it for a couple of years. I updated 1Password. It's primary vault is an outdated .agilkeychain file. I want to change it to the new & synced .opvault file. How do I do this? Troubleshooting/Reset All 1Password Data is greyed out.

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Newly updated
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I am activating a Mac after not using it for a couple of years. I updated 1Password. It's primary vault is an outdated .agilkeychain file. I want to change it to the new & synced .opvault file. How do I do this?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ctolson: No problem! Just follow this guide to switch to the OPVault format. Your existing data won't be affected:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ctolson
    ctolson
    Community Member

I followed the instructions on switching to OPVault and it worked perfectly. However, today I gave a credit card number over the phone only to discover that it was rejected. After calling the credit card company I realized that the number I gave was an old credit card. At least part of my 1Password database reverted to the 2 year-old data that was on my old computer that I was trying to activate. I assume that it synced with the OPVault after I connected them, and that the old database replaced my good data with the outdated information. I do have a good backup of the correct data on my primary computer and a copy of the original, good OPVault file from before doing this operation. What do I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ctolson: I'm really not sure what you mean. Did you setup the old computer to sync its outdated information with the new vault? Otherwise it sounds like it would only exist on the old computer still. Any details you can provide would be helpful, but honestly it sounds like you just need to restore the correct data from a backup (which would put all of your devices back on the same page once everything syncs). Let me know what you find!

• ctolson
    ctolson
    Community Member

I apparently misunderstood the directions. I have 3 other Macs and 2 iPhones all synced through Dropbox. I love 1Password. It works great. I wanted to add this older computer to that group. I knew that it had old data (the data in the old agilekeychain file). I assumed from what I read that I could update that data by linking it to the good OPVault file. Of course I set up the old computer to sync through dropbox after linking to the good OPVault file because my goal was for all computers to share the same data. Instead, the good OPVault just adopted the old data. At this point I just want to know how to correct it.

After your last post I
    I restored my main computer from a good backup. The data was corrected and looked good. I then turned on syncing again, and it returned to the old data again. I just need help in fixing the problem.

• ctolson
    ctolson
    Community Member

Just a thought, ...can I paste the good backup into the appropriate spot in my other computers and restore 1Password to that backup on each machine, so that they all match before syncing? I also have a backup copy of the good OPVault I could placed in dropbox. I don't know how that would affect the data in the iPhones.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ctolson: I'm sorry you're still having trouble. I'm not sure what you're doing exactly though. It isn't possible to sync an OPVault with an AgileKeychain vault together. It sounds like you're syncing the old vault with the others. Where do you have the "correct" data you want to use across all devices right now? What OS and 1Password version do you have there? And what OS and 1Password versions are you using on the others? From your description it sounds like your old computer may be running a legacy OS or 1Password version. Please let me know the specifics.

• ctolson
    ctolson
    Community Member

I do appreciate your assistance. Here is my response to your questions.

Question 1: What OS & Password versions am I using? I currently have 3 macbook pros running OS 10.12.6 and 1Password 6.8, and 2 iphone 6 pluses running ios 10.3.3 and 1Password 6.8. 1Password has been working well on these machines for the past 2 years.

In addition, I decided to start using a mac-mini that I had not used for a couple of years. It is also now running on OS 10.12.6 and 1Password 6.8. The first thing I did when I began using this machine was update the software.

Question 2: Where do you have the “correct” data? All of my devices currently show corrupted, old data on 1Password because they have synced together through dropbox. My primary laptop has a backup with correct data. I also have a previously saved copy of the OPVault (with correct data) saved on my hard drive. I need a way to restore all devices using the good backup or the good copy of the OPVault.

Observation: I believe that this is what happened: After upgrading to new OS and 1Password software on the old mac mini, I followed the instructions to change the 1Password connection from its old AgileKeychain vault to the OP Vault that all the computers share on dropbox. Then I turned on the sync feature through dropbox. That synced the old data that still remained locally on the old machine with the good data on the OPVault. In many cases, the old data replaced the good data, resulting in incorrect information on all of my machines. I may not understand completely the process, but the change occurred when I turned on the dropbox syncing feature on the old machine after it was connected to the OPVault.

Request: I believe that I need a way to restore all linked machines to the old backup. I successfully restored my primary computer to the backup, but when I turned on the syncing feature again, it reverted to the bad data previous to the restoration.

I hope that this helps you understand my need. I don’t know how to explain this any more clearly. I do really appreciate your willingness to help me solve this problem.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ctolson: Perfect! Thank you for those details. Glad to hear that everything is up to date already! This should be fairly straightforward:

1. Disable sync on each device
    2. Make sure you have the known-good backup of your data in a safe place (i.e. not Dropbox)
    3. Reset 1Password on each device
    4. Delete any remaining vaults in Dropbox.
    5. Setup 1Password on the first device (Mac is easiest), either by selecting "Search my Mac" or "Restore from backup" under "Used 1Password before?"
    6. Setup sync and let Dropbox finish syncing the data to all of your other devices
    7. Setup 1Password with the same vault in Dropbox on those as well

Let me know how it turns out! :)

• ctolson
    ctolson
    Community Member

Good news! I followed your instructions on each device. Now everything looks good. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! Here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.